London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
3 messages
13/11/2013 at 15:27

I was just reading the "what's flowering in your garden" thread and the only thing to be producing flowers in my sea of pots is the strawberry plants.

But this got me thinking.

Currently I am nipping the flowers as they appear to try and encourage (or at least I thought I was) the plant to think less about pollination and more about the impending winter or at the very least stop putting any undue effort into the flowers to drain their reserves for our harsh mornings. We're already experiencing frosts regularly and the majorityof the leafs have died back leaving me with small fresh dark green ones.

But should I be doing this? Would I be better off leaving the plant to its own devices and hoping eventually it'll realise that its too cold for any flower on bumblebee action?

Thanks my learned friends!

13/11/2013 at 15:30

My perennial strawberries are still trying to flower and fruit and if I were to nip the flowers off I'd be out there on my hands an knees most mornings.  I'm leaving it to the weather to tell them what to do. 

13/11/2013 at 21:12

Lots of fruit still on the Temptation plants at work, all green burt the slugs are munching away.

email image
3 messages