Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

street-cleaning-in-our-cul-de-sac

I would like some advice please I emailed the councellor about the road sweepers who doesnt sweep our cul de sac he said  its private land  

nobody seems to clean the gutters which are full of leaves as most of us have hedges at the front of our houses  and its getting an eyesore  and when somebody cuts there hedge it all blows into my frontage when its windy I cant get down to sweep it all up  they are all younger than me 

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

I would contact the planning dept of your local council and see if it is an adopted road and ask them who is responsible for the upkeep of the road. If it is privately owned then you must be paying something to someone for the upkeep of the road....Are you new to the area - can you ask neighbours if this is an new problem , what has happened in the past? Are your bins collected from outside your property or from the end of the cul de sac where it meets the main road? Who is responsible for you water services?

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657
    Joyce, the questions Daintiness is asking are absolutely the right ones ,we are buying a house with very similar problems, its not that difficult to sort out so don't go worrying yourself, try to find the answers and come back ,when you bought the property this would have been noted and looked at by your solicitor, if that was too long ago or you cant remember it not a problem follow Daintiness ,s advise and no worries.if your not ( like me ) a computer person start with Cit,advice

Alan4711
  • Daintiness and alan

Thanks for the reply I did contact the councellor who said its private land and we have to keep it clean I thought of putting posters in the neighbours doors 

Ive lived here 11 years we do get our bins collected every week outside the house I cant ask the neighbours as they are all new as they are young first house buyers   I am not sure about water problems  should I ask my solicitor

My brother works for the cit.advice ill ask him

I am a computer person 

Actually I would ask your neighbours as if they have recently bought their properties the details of the private road and the upkeep will be fresh in their memories as it would have been brought up by their solicitors and in the search they would have had to do in order to purchase the property.

• Daintiness

No they are third buyers not new Ill have to ask  

I'm sorry Joyce. I don't understand. Are the houses in your road - council properties, housing association or privately owned?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

But if they've recently bought the property (whether first time buyers or not) their solicitor will have done the Searches to find out who's responsible for such things. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Daintiness

They are all private

Thank you for the advice

Thanks Joyce, I would speak to your neighbours then as the points mentioned will have been talked through with them before they made their purchases. They should be aware of all services, suppliers, rights of way etc. Let us know how you get on image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Could you invite your neighbours to tea one weekend and then tactfully ask for help in clearing leaves and hedge clippings?  Point out that an unkempt road will detract from their properties if the place is weedy and untidy.

Councils are not keen to adopt roads now-a-days as it costs them money.  I presume you have to pay for the upkeep of the road and pavements too.