London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
3 messages
13/05/2013 at 19:23

I have over-Wintered three Strelitzia plants (grown from seed last year) in the bathroom and now Spring has arrived there are some brownish blotches on the leaves which I have sprayed with a fungicide. The growing point looks healthy also the stems and the compost is moist but not soggy. I re-potted the plants once they started into growth this Spring.

Does anyone else grow these and have they had similar problems? Any idea what the pest or disease is please? There is no sign of visible insect life that I have noticed.

11/12/2014 at 19:59

I am answering my own post - how is that for dedication. I finally hacked off the sickly leaves and the plants have grown away merrily during the Summer with a good complement of leaves on each but no flowers as yet. I believe it takes about five years on average but I may just get lucky this coming year. I t looks as if they will all need re-potting in the Spring and I believe that it's possible to plan off-sets during potting on, assuming there are any, and presumably I will be able to pass these on if it happens. At least they look healthy enough at present.

12/12/2014 at 11:18

I'm impressed that you grew them from seed! I've got one I bought as a small plant at least 5 years ago which has grown much bigger but has never flowered so I'd love some tips on how to persuade it to. I believe they're more likely to flower if they're pot bound and mine is in a largish pot which it is still growing into so perhaps that's the reason.

email image
3 messages