Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

sumac--help-

We had a large sumac in our front garden which for various reasons, has had to be cut down.  But now, not only is the stump sprouting new leaves, but mini sumacs are now sprouting all over the front garden lawn, up to 30 feet away from the main tree.  I am assuming the tree has sent suckers out all over the place, but how do I get rid of them and kill the tree once and for all?  I've been obsessively pulling the sproutlets up, but they spring back up as quickly as I pull them out.  I have already used a woody plant/tree stump killer on the stump, but wonder if it's not working because the sap is still rising?  

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

You need to use it on the young pieces as well - the problem is that the whole root system will sprout.

It'll take a bit of time, but instead of pulling up each new tree, paint it with your weedkiller and the root will eventually die.

• MarionSMarionS Posts: 7

That's helpful, thank you.  I wondered if that might be the case: I counted today's sprouting bits, but stopped at 28.  Sigh!  

• Eat it. I'd keep one bit in a big pot - you could collect the 'fruit' and use them as a spice - revenge! 

Alys Fowler says

"Rhus typhina is a large, tree-like shrub with leaves that blaze orange-red in autumn. The female plants are crowned with flame-shaped, winter-persistent clusters of red fruit that, when dried, make a passable substitute for sumac, the lemon-flavoured spice used in Lebanese and Turkish cuisine. Native Americans soaked the fruit to make pink lemonade. It does best in full sun and doesn't mind poor, free-draining soils. Do not confuse with the toxic R. verniciflua."

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

I have a rhus typhina dissecta which has more interesting foliage and is glorious in spring and autumn and a great shape in winter when bare.   I wouldn't be without it but I do have the space to let it grow as it pleases.

As indicated above, pruning it evokes a rapid response to propagate itself from its roots and each shoot needs killing off with repeated applications of glyphosate or similar mixed according to the packet instructions.  Do not be tempted to do extra strength as it doesn't help and will cost you more.  

You'll nee to be patient and vigilant but it will give up eventually.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,145

I had several Sumac's removed earlier this year and boy are they reaping their revenge! Suckers coming up everywhere including bursting the pavement outside. Eek.

Where possible I'm either spraying with weedol, applying round-up gel or mowing frequently. 

Does this sound like the right course of action? Any ideas as to how long this process might take before (hopefully!) I finally kill them off? 

Just a little bump for this to see if you experienced folk think my current course of action is the right way to address this?

many thanks 

Folks, I am continuing to wage my battle against these sucker growths. Current strategy, as above, is a combination of mowing and spraying with SBK. From what I've read I'm expecting a long fight lol but I have another idea to try and want to get some ideas if it's a 'go-er'.

Some of the regrowths are tucked away under some Portuguese Laurel planting and they have already reached a couple of feet in height. I was wondering with these more advanced regrowths whether I could cut them down to say 8-10" then hollow out the remaining stem (they are very soft) and fill with SBK stump killer using a syringe or similar. They are not in an area that is readily / easily accessible and spraying is not an option due to surrounding planting.

What do you think?

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Sounds like a go-er to me! It took a year for my suckers to stop sprouting. I just used a combination of pulling them out and mowing the ones in the lawn. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Thanks hogweed. I'll give it a go on that case.