Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Supprot for Solanum glasnevin?

I had a big tree removed a few weeks ago which has left quite a gap. (The bulk of the tree had fallen a few years ago, I though ti was leaving the trunk but decided it was dangerous and best removed).

Today I found / remembered I had planted a solanum glasnevin to climb up it. Now it has started it's growth spurt and I need suggestions what will be strong enough to support it?

It is near to a fence, but I don't think that will hold it.

There are conifers nearby ( 60-90cm away each side) which I expect it will reach in time, so maybe a temporary measure until it gets there? How would it affect clipping/pruning the conifers?

There is a newly planted Amelanchier in front of it, would this work?

Would an arch or trellis be better, if so any suggestions which are strong enough? 

Thank you.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

whatever you choose, make sure it's massively strong. I used to look after a garden where one was planted against the house. I regularly had to pull shoots out from the roof space.

Devon.
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Hmmm, that is my worry!  the tree stump may have been the best bet!

Right that's enough! It's not gonna fight my amelanchia so it's getting moved (same problem 're supports again.) Like the your timber idea tetley, has got me thinking.
    Whooo No tetley! It'll be the solanum that gets moved not my precious amelanchier!

Garden faces south, or that spot does anyway.
    Sounds lovely tetley - any photos?
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

They need a strong trellis or support, this one has been in for 4 years this year, its cut back every Spring

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Wow, I do love it Lyn! Do you? or has it outgrown it's welcome? I can believe its only 4 years old by the thickness of mine which I bought as a puny specimen last year from Morrisons.

I'm thinking of moving it to grow up the apple tree.

just testing if I can use iPad to post photos...