Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sweet corn problems...

I had 15 healthy seedlings, doing well in the GH and potted them up because it was to early to plant out and their roots were growing through the bottom of the modules.

After a week, due to the recent warm weather, I started to moved them in and out of the GH to harden off. Within 24 hours one seedling turned brown from the centre of it's leaves...it has withered and died. A 2nd one has followed. I've planted the others out on the allotment, they still look healthy but smaller than other's planted out by allotmenteers. 

Q is...I'm hoping the two seedlings withered and died due to hardening off...or are the other plants going to wither and die too...due to a virus or other nastie...    

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

My guess is that they got burnt/parched during hardening off  - I'm not growing any this year (no room) but when I grew them the year before I found that they needed a fair bit of consistent dampness at their roots.

Hope that the others are making great strides very soon image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

We've had a couple of sunny days so I'm going to check on them this evening and give a good water. Fingers crossed they'll be ok.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,846

I always used to think that hardening off was just a case of putting the plants outdoors but no it seems that they should be put in the shade.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Checked and watered the plants this evening to find another plant is starting to go grey. Sorry didn't say in my first post but the other two seedlings went grey first before going brown.

They weren't hardened off totally in the shade, that area of the garden is in some shade early morning and late afternoon. I could understand them getting burnt if left in the GH but they've been outdoors and although it's been warm, most days have been over cast or it's rained apart from today, which has been sunny and hot.