London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
8 messages
Loz
06/04/2013 at 13:56

I planted Sweet pea seeds around the 4/3/13, 5 to a pot watered them just the once as told and left them in my greenhouse...totally forgot to bring them inside where it was warmer to start them off. Looking at them now they are bone dry and doing nothing  Can I do anything with them or should I just start again? I have everlasting ones on the go which are coming on fine but as last year was my first year with them and they were beautiful I wanted to have a really good mix this year. Whats your thoughts guys??

06/04/2013 at 14:06
I am not too good with sweet peas Loz, haven't got a greenhouse so I grow mine on my window sill but as of yet I have had no success, they always grow leggy.......will try growing them outside when the weather warms up.

I had cosmos seeds in my cold frame during this cold spell and NOTHING.....not a peek from anything so have brought them inside to see if that will get them started, not sure but will see if it works.
06/04/2013 at 14:12

I think I would start again. If they had been watered and then germinated and then got bone dry the new shoots would have dried up. You could poke about gently and see if you can find one and see what's going on. They need about 15° C to germinate.

06/04/2013 at 14:18

I would just give them a good drink and see if that helps to get things going. You could always sow more if nothing happens

Loz
06/04/2013 at 14:25

To Busy-Lizzie...when you say germinated what exactly does that mean?  yes, I'm a complete novice. Does this show any signs, as I said there's nothing, just sad looking soil

06/04/2013 at 16:16

Have a poke about Loz -if the seeds still look 'whole' -as if nothing's happened at all- then they might not have started anything  so you could give them a water and a bit of heat and some might come away. I did mine on window sill with radiator below it (covered at night)towards end of March and they started coming through in a week or so. Worth a shot and if nothing still happens, sow a few more!

It's time to sow them outside now -weather permitting -so you've not really lost out in terms of getting a head start anyway.

Loz
06/04/2013 at 20:28

Than you Fairygirl, I've bought some inside now and watered them so we'll see what happens...I'll keep you posted!

06/04/2013 at 20:59

Loz

Try asking David K

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/sweet-pea/2434.html

He seems to be expert

email image
8 messages