London (change)
Mon 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
27/03/2014 at 13:15

My neighbour has a sycamore tree which unfortunately overhangs a bit of my garden. Normally this is not a problem but this year I seem to have a million zillion seedlings all growing strongly in my flowerbed and on the lawn. 

I will pick them all out of the flowerbed (my back aches thinking of it) but do I need to worry about the lawn, as will just mowing the grass keep them in check?

Anything else I should be doing to get rid of them?

Seems all the rain has meant every single seed has germinated. Anyone else have this problem?

thanks!

27/03/2014 at 13:24

No, the lawn mower will handle them. As for your flower beds get a Garden Swoe Hoe They're fantastic. I wish I'd got one years ago. Check it for angle before you buy, you should be alble to slide it without it digging in too much or popping up, a problem I always have with 'D' hoes. I'm glad there's no Sycamores around my garden for that problem but I used to manage it fine before.

27/03/2014 at 13:35

Got sycamores at bottom of my garden too.  No problem in lawns at all so don't worry about that.  I guess sycamores will take over the world one day   They are easy seedlings to remove though.

27/03/2014 at 13:40

Thanks Jim and Verdun. Glad I don't have to worry about the lawn and I'll definitely look at getting at Swoe Hoe! Thanks

27/03/2014 at 13:40

Yep. Hoe them out of the beds.  Mow them out of the lawn. Cut the adults down with a chain saw.  Bloody sycamores.    What did the Romans do for us gardeners?  Sycamores and rabbits!

27/03/2014 at 14:24
Steve 309 wrote (see)

Yep. Hoe them out of the beds.  Mow them out of the lawn. Cut the adults down with a chain saw.  Bloody sycamores.    What did the Romans do for us gardeners?  Sycamores and rabbits!

Don't forget nettles and garden snails  not to split hairs though, no pun intended,  it was the Normans that brought in the rabbits, not sure about sycamores.

27/03/2014 at 14:34

Ah yes.  I stand corrected.  And the feudal system.  And posessions in France,  And lots of our language.  And Calvados. But apart from that...

27/03/2014 at 16:47

We have an enormous sycamore next door to us, but I don't mind picking out the seedlings as they are so easy.  Worst thing is when the whirlygigs get in the guttering and block it.  But it is a lovely looking tree and a great backdrop to our more exposed garden, so I wouldn't want to see a chainsaw taking care of it.

27/03/2014 at 16:47

I'd love to cut my neighbours' sycamore down with a chainsaw, think they may have something to say about it! Oh and have plenty of rabbits too. They don't know that they are not supposed to eat half the stuff they eat. No-one seemed to tell them that they don't like laurel or hebe or rose, pesky little things!

27/03/2014 at 17:12

Laurel is quite poisonous to humans as far as I'm aware, except bay of course. 

27/03/2014 at 17:27

Steve

Not forgetting Hadrians Wall of course

Also the art of viticulture ?  Not only did they import wine but I feel sure that the Romans also grew  vines in their British province..............now you can't argue with that surely ?

Old ruins...............always good for a poke around..............sorry, that's not come out quite as I intended but I'm sure you all know what I mean

27/03/2014 at 18:15

Also the Romans grew Globe Artichokes here commercially but apparently the climate was warmer.

27/03/2014 at 18:59
Steve 309 wrote (see)

Ah yes.  I stand corrected.  And the feudal system.  And posessions in France,  And lots of our language.  And Calvados. But apart from that...

27/03/2014 at 21:05

If the Romans brought you Sycamores it must be you lot over there who gave them to us. One of the few good things me thinks. I love them and planted lots of them in my garden.

27/03/2014 at 22:31

I noticed a small forest of sycamore seedlings in the gutter of my workshop yesterday and they are coming up all over the drive, I think it must be a good year for them. The trees not even in my garden, nevermind.

27/03/2014 at 22:43

Yep, gazillions here too. Mind you, we do at least have the trees so can't blame the neighbours... 

27/03/2014 at 22:47

The problem is not your seedlings because you will have the sense to remove them, it is the neighbour who does not bother and then you have a forest tree overhanging your garden. That is what started your problem probably.

27/03/2014 at 22:54

There are a couple in my garden, fortunately the prevailing wind blows them away for the farmer to kill. I wouldn't plant one, there are so many more beautiful trees which are of benefit to man or beast

27/03/2014 at 22:56

I agree with all the posts about sycamores.  Backing onto my garden, are the gardens of 'the better offs'  When we moved in just over fifty years back, (seems like yesterday).. The sycamores and poplars were of course already well matured.  Then just behind them, on the betterorf's gardens, there was also several weeping willows.  Why? I don't know, but over the years the willows have all gone, and the other trees have been attacked by various tree surgeons.  Now none of the trees are allowed to attain anything resembelling their grandeur.  My tiny garden gets it's fair share of Acer seedlings along with a covering of the fluffy sseds from the poplars.  Strange.  The poplars never seem to grow in my garden.  The Acers are so easy to pull up, so I don't worry.  Thankfully.  I have no lawn.  From my front windows.  I overlook a small park.  There is a fine selection of Ilex, laurus, arbutus, pyracantha etc.  Then within the car park of the Bingo Hall.  There are a couple of beautiful sycamores.  Thankfully they have been allowed to grow naturally.  Believe me.  They are a sight for sore eyes, throughout all the changing seasons.  Sorry, Mike is getting carried away again.

27/03/2014 at 23:02

Poplars don't make babies here either Mike, I wonder if they're all one sex or hybrids or something. I have 2 of those that have red catkins anytime now and then the leaves a lot later. Rarely get willow seedlings either. 

But Norway maple, (now gone), ash and field maple would create a forest here in no time,

1 to 20 of 25 messages