London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
8 messages
16/04/2014 at 19:52

Dear gardeners

is this what i fear it may be- first shoots of Japanese Knot Weed?

If so can i just dig it out and put it in garden waste for council? I have read it can be a little devil.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42540.jpg?width=478&height=350&mode=max

thanks

DD

16/04/2014 at 20:42

Sorry - but I can't tell what it is from the picture.  However, if it is JKW it isn't "a little devil" but a rather big one!  There are a few other threads about it on this site - but if you can't find them right now perhaps it's best if I say that on no account should you put it in a council recycling waste bin.  There are all sorts of rules & regs now as to what you "may" put in these bins, and JKW has to be dealt with in such a way as to prevent it spreading.  Probably best if you google around a bit and you'll get the picture!

16/04/2014 at 21:00

It looks more like bindweed. Still a pest but you can fork it out or spot treat with a systemic weedkiller such as glyphosate

16/04/2014 at 21:44

yep, it's bindweed

16/04/2014 at 22:04

I agree - it's bindweed. If you don't want to get the glyphosate spray over other plants, get a small plastic bag, put it over the bindweed, spray into the bag, put a wire twist round it and leave it for a week or so - hey presto, dead weed ( or at least for a while) as it always comes back I find.

17/04/2014 at 00:11

Just wondering if it might be Black Bryony rather than bindweed

17/04/2014 at 07:32
Well it would be a relief, there was bindweed when we first moved in last autumn so it would make sense I guess.
Thank you for your suggestions and help. More digging to do!
17/04/2014 at 11:15

I have painters doing the outside of the house and I feel in their way if I go out and potter so I'm doing the next best thing and virtual gardening here today.  There seem to be so many posts about the dreaded 'unmentionable' it is so scary.  It's amazing how relieved I feel when I hear you have a diagnosis of bindweed - isn't that awful - but it is so much better than the other.  I have bindweed which before had me in fits but now I'm so grateful that I don't have the other that I almost feel kindly towards it.  A friend of mine had the other and it was so distressing to see what she went through.

email image
8 messages