Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

the weather

I am feeling a bit disheartened, plant lovers! We moved to the house we live in now because of its good sized garden. We moved in the late 1990s and I can honestly say the appalling weather has stopped us gardening again and again! How can we fulfil the desire to garden when the weather is SO poor? How do the rest of you gardeners get your "fix"?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

You must have had some good weather in the past 14 years!

you can garden in all but pouring rain or when the ground is frozen.

We have about 4/5 weather threads on the go, perhaps you could pick up some tips from there.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Ryan LloydRyan Lloyd Posts: 395

During the bad weather, I tend to sow seeds and plan my garden and order plants online image Works for me

• catnipcatnip Posts: 73

I'll check and get my umbrella out!

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

you have to be patient and wait for that moment,don't be afraid to out in the cold (not the freezing cold) or rain and potter around.Venture out to the garden center and dream and spend time looking at the plants etc and a cup of coffee.Gardening is always different every year a challenge something to create your self ,faults and all,to learn and not get despondent when things go wrong or the weather seems hopeless.image

• Not much fun for the professional gardener! Should be a busy time.image

• Jack1974Jack1974 Posts: 61
    Just had a search for weather posts, and I'm sure I remember a more regularly updated post than this. 

I'm based in Whitstable Kent, and summer really has been around for a good few weeks now, lovely, especially after not a great summer last year.

I'm very much a beginner gardener, but do spend so much of my time checking the weather, so I can gauge how my plants will be doing.

It hasn't rained for weeks, and there is no sign of rain for the next ten days.

Anyone elses garden getting very dry, and doing lots of pots watering?
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,688
    I have gardened professionally, for me it is an addiction and a life line. I have no problem going out there unless it is very hot. I have to check things it is part of my daily routine.
    I have worked as a Gardener for 24 years. My latest garden is a new build garden on heavy clay.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Pots need regular watering, regardless of whether you're in a hot area or not. In cloudier/cooler areas, every couple of days is often enough [assuming they're in the right growing medium] but more often in hotter, drier ones.
    It also depends on the planting that's in them, so putting them in a shadier spot during prolonged hot weather can help, especially if your water supply is metered, which I think is the case in a lot of England/Wales, unlike here    :)

I think there is a weather thread @Jack1974, but I don't use it. It should be somewhere in the first few pages of the forum though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    I’ve bumped the weather thread up for you @Jack1974 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.