London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
07/10/2013 at 18:39

I like that one Verd, what about practicing your darts......??

07/10/2013 at 19:43

Try superglue under the rim of the pot, laced with broken glass. Most casual thieves wont use gloves and the blood they spill and leave behind, is evidence, which if they are caught, will prove their guilt. One draw back though, you could be sued by the thief! Otherwise the steel cable method is probably best.

08/10/2013 at 13:24

My method has been to balance empty glass bottles upside down against the back of the pots, a makeshift alarm so if anyone tries to take one I can jump out and give them a good old earful! (although it does make you paranoid everytime you hear a glass bottle). Not had any thefts since I set those up. 

08/10/2013 at 13:56

Fix them to the floor somehow or make them very heavy.  I'd be wary of supergluing anything sharp to the pots/using barbed wire as you would be liable for any injuries caused to a potential thief (unless you had clearly signposted the dangers).  That could cost you quite a bit - imagine if they got tetanus for instance.

The only guaranteed way to stop thieves is to not put anything there for them to steal 

08/10/2013 at 17:31

Even if all you've got is a few pairs of jeans and a few t-shirts, someone'll steal 'em. In Liberia, it's the underpaid police. Want them to record a crime? Buy 'em a pencil and notepad when you report it.

As for the catapult and darts, I think getting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gneZc_hafDEthis factory to do a custom order filled with OIL paint would work better.

"Can you describe the thief?"

"He's got paint splats in his t-shirt over little circular bruises in his skin around the right kidney."

08/10/2013 at 17:32
Even if all you've got is a few pairs of jeans and a few t-shirts, someone'll steal 'em. In Liberia, it's the underpaid police. Want them to record a crime? Buy 'em a pencil and notepad when you report it.

As for the catapult and darts, I think getting this factory to do a custom order filled with OIL paint would work better.

"Can you describe the thief?"

"He's got paint splats in his t-shirt over little circular bruises in his skin around the right kidney."

08/10/2013 at 20:33

I must be really lucky. I have lots of pots , troughs and baskets in my front. Some right on the pavement and none have been taken- or is posting this tempting fate?

08/10/2013 at 21:32

Potty gardeners - It could be you live in a nice area, I thought I did until my green recycle bin went missing followed by the black one...and both had the house number painted on the side... 

08/10/2013 at 21:41

Just got to go through the streets looking for houses with your number Zoomer.

08/10/2013 at 21:49

I would not put glass or anything damaging under pots for the sole reason is that it might be you who forgets what is under there and you badly cut your own hand.

I used to have problems with teenagers using my old garden as a cut through (it was not fenced or hedges). Shouting at them did not work, a fence did not work (they lifted up the wires), so I put anti-vandal paint all over it, took one look, tried and it covered them in glue like stuff and they never came back. You could put that under a pot but as per my original paragraph - it could be you lifting that pot and that sticky paint all over you...

email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages