Start a new thread

21 to 28 of 28 replies

Topbird

Glad it's not just me that's going to have a cupboard full of green tomato chutney this year!!!  Looking on the bright side though - that's a few contributions to village tombolas / charity fundraisers / small 'thank you' gifts sorted out for the next year

(Gardener's Delight - grown outside - lots of fruit but just 2 red tomatoes so far which the squirrels or mice pinched before I got there )

For the first year ever I bought tomato plants from jersy rather than my own seed . I bought 6 plants and ended up with 30 odd plants  by planting on the bits I remove from the leaf axels . (Cordon ) They are sweet  , a lovely tomato and were ready 10 weeks after planting in pots I have been picking tomatoes from end of June . I shall do the same next year 

Fairygirl

Which variety were they lucky?

Italophile - sorry for delay but I'm also not getting notified of replies to my posts/comments so I need to check this out.

Its the suckers I've allowed to grow??? I've been told they are side shoots???

Italophile

Granny, the email notifications seem to come in fits and starts.

Suckers, side shoots, same things, different names. There's nothing wrong with letting a couple of them grow. I just wasn't clear how many actual branches you had growing off your main stem.

Advertisement

Tootles

I find that outdoor tomatoes tend to have tougher skins than greenhouse ones but outdoor ones often taste a bit better than greenhouse ones.

One thing I have learnt this year, from reading advice on this forum, is that I haven't been watering as religiously as in previous years and as a result none of my tomatoes have suffered from split skins, yippppeee!! 

Italophile

NG, Shirley is a hybrid variety. Hybrids are bred to produce the same tomato season after season. More likely that there are cultural factors - temperatures, etc.

Tootles - yes, excessive moisture is one of the major causes of splitting. You see it a lot after periods of intense rain. The extra moisture causes the fruit to swell and the skins can't handle the expansion.