London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
3 messages
07/07/2012 at 22:34
Can anyone give me some advice on how to clear swathes of small toadstools on my lawn(which is in full sun). I have swept and raked them clear but they reappear in a day or two. Short of digging up the areas involved, is there another solution?
07/07/2012 at 22:52

No. They are the result of the very wet weather, and will vanish when and if we finally get some dry weather.

08/07/2012 at 07:11

As Alina says they're the result of current weather conditions.  Digging them up won't work as they're only the fruiting bodies of a large underground network of mycelium which is really the main part of the 'plant'.

Are yours forming in rings, or are they appearing more randomly?  If they're fairy rings like ours, it's helpful to spike that area of lawn regularly to stop the mycelium forming a sort of waterproof area which will result in dry patches.  And continue as you are, brushing them off prior to mowing.

To be honest we enjoy them as yet another manifestation of the wonders of nature and we recapture a little of the sense of magic from our long lost youth as we watch the fairy rings appear (then once a week we brush them off and mow the lawn). 

email image
3 messages