London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
8 messages
06/03/2014 at 16:40

Hi folks

ive got a couple of 6 x 3 foot raised beds that have gone abit mossy. I know they need a good turn over etc, but is it a good idea to start from scratch with some fresh top soil?

and if so has anyone got any good supplier that they no of?

06/03/2014 at 16:43

No need to start again, just stir them up and add a layer of good home made compost or well rotted farmyard manure. 

06/03/2014 at 16:48

Is it best to leave the big cloches off now to let Mother Nature do her thing

06/03/2014 at 18:50

I've just 'woken' one of my raised beds from its winter slumbers - it had a (very) temporary cover of bubble wrap, held in place by old sash weights. I found the soil to be largely quite friable, needing only a light 'tiffling' with a border fork and hand picking of the odd half dozen weed seedlings harboured therein!

*I had planted it late last Autumn with 24 shallot sets: these had made about 6-8" of healthy green growth, somewhat 'rumpled' by growing under the plastic, but I'm sure that it will straighten out now that it's open to the elements once more.

06/03/2014 at 21:30

Even if we've had quite a few slugs last year 

just fine to turn over and add manure?

06/03/2014 at 22:28

Unfortunatelyh, good soil doesn't happen overnight,it needs patience. Sorry, but keep up the good work and you'll be amazed just how quickly it happens.

07/03/2014 at 06:15
Have a go Nick wrote (see)

Even if we've had quite a few slugs last year 

just fine to turn over and add manure?

Absolutely fine - it'll be great 

07/03/2014 at 11:51

we found raised beds the best way,as we had to use new soil but gave it a good manuring over winter the worms did all the work and we ended up with a no dig allotment ,but you do have to watch the moisture as they can dry a little quicker in summer.

email image
8 messages