Start a new thread

1 to 4 of 4 replies

I have just pulled up the last of my tomato plants, heavy with fruit but again, for the third year running, plagued with blight. It is so depressing. Before all this I grew wonderful tomatoes each year which yielded so much fruit that I had to preserve them in olive oil for the winter. I don't know what I am doing wrong. This year I tried them in a greenhouse for the first time but the same thing happened again. I grow them in growbags so it is not to do with using infected pots. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey,Im new here,so sorry to hear that.I will check the source of water if I was you.

David K

This is such a shame to hear and must be very disheartening for you.

First of all I would suggest that if the present trend of wet summers continues, growing tomatoes outdoors will be a thing of the past.....the spores of blight flourish in warm damp conditions. Growing in a greenhouse does give some degree of protection as the foliage remains dry for the most part.

The only advice I could offer is to grow blight resistant varieties in future (Ferline by T&M is a reliable one) and keep your greenhouse well ventilated.

Btw, Your greenhouse will need a scrub-up with Jeyes Fluid before you plant with tomatoes again and *fumigate using a sulphur candle just before planting.

*Make sure the greenhouse is totally empty before fumigating.