London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
4 messages
03/08/2012 at 10:04

I have just pulled up the last of my tomato plants, heavy with fruit but again, for the third year running, plagued with blight. It is so depressing. Before all this I grew wonderful tomatoes each year which yielded so much fruit that I had to preserve them in olive oil for the winter. I don't know what I am doing wrong. This year I tried them in a greenhouse for the first time but the same thing happened again. I grow them in growbags so it is not to do with using infected pots. Does anyone have any suggestions?

06/08/2012 at 08:24

Hey,Im new here,so sorry to hear that.I will check the source of water if I was you.

06/08/2012 at 09:26

This is such a shame to hear and must be very disheartening for you.

First of all I would suggest that if the present trend of wet summers continues, growing tomatoes outdoors will be a thing of the past.....the spores of blight flourish in warm damp conditions. Growing in a greenhouse does give some degree of protection as the foliage remains dry for the most part.

The only advice I could offer is to grow blight resistant varieties in future (Ferline by T&M is a reliable one) and keep your greenhouse well ventilated.

Btw, Your greenhouse will need a scrub-up with Jeyes Fluid before you plant with tomatoes again and *fumigate using a sulphur candle just before planting.

*Make sure the greenhouse is totally empty before fumigating.

06/08/2012 at 12:51

Janiesings, you posted the same in the other tomato thread and I replied, here:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/fruit-andamp-veg/tomatoes/3299.html

email image
4 messages