London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 46 messages
02/06/2013 at 10:09

Hello, 

Its my first time growing tomatoes on my own and was wondering if these where ok? i would normally go to my grandad but he is no longer with us..

so is there anything I should be doing with them right now or?? 

Thanks for your help..

KEF
02/06/2013 at 10:16

Hi Jessica, we haven't got the picture.

02/06/2013 at 21:03

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24639.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

Ooops I thought I posted it Haha sorry! 

KEF
02/06/2013 at 21:58

Jessica to be very honest they are so tiny for this time of year and I'm sorry but I don't think they'll catch up. I grew mine from seed and now they are knee high in buckets in the greenhouse.

Don't despair, nip to garden centre, they might still have some on sale, buy some and nurture those. Next year have another go, ask on here if you need guidance, all will be happy to help.

Keep trying. All the best.

04/06/2013 at 09:44

Could I ask, when are you meant to start to grown them? As Im sure I planted them late! 

thanks 

04/06/2013 at 10:04

Have to say this -  when you do sow again next year, fill them cups up to the top with compost. They don't look happy and look like they're lacking in nutrients, you have a higher chance of encountering problems. Tip. keep potting on, this encourages them to grow faster.

I start mine off in March.

04/06/2013 at 19:42

Thanks for that tip!

iv put them in bigger pots, so I'm hoping they will grow.. 

04/06/2013 at 19:51

I start mine off in February, in a heated propagator in the greenhouse. 

04/06/2013 at 22:48

I started mine around 10th April and have potted on twice, just put them in the ground in a greenhouse and some along a south facing wall. They're just under 2 foot tall, but are thick stemmed with yellow flowers that have just appeared. 

Some varieties are quicker to maturity than others (eg Cherrys might be 2months from planting in the ground, but beefsteaks will be more like 3)

I'd suggest sowing a few in stages next spring as you never know what the weather will do. That's my plan anyway this year's my first year growing anything.

Do you know if you plant them deeper each time you pot on they grow roots from the stem so it makes them stronger.

05/06/2013 at 00:37

Will those plants really not catch up? With the terrible spring we've had I held off sowing for months and have nothing more than a few inches high. The reason I held off for so long is that the widowsils I have offer some warm but little light, and outside has offered no warmth but reasonable light.

Please tell me the scientists are crowing about the wonderful summer we're about to have?

KEF
05/06/2013 at 07:30

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see the little plants catching up.

05/06/2013 at 07:45

As KEF says see if you can get a few at the GC- ours certainly still have plenty- and get them somewhere warm. Why don't you take a few of the best ones, keep them potted on and bring them indoors just now on a window sill and see how they go- nothing to lose. If you have a growhouse/greenhouse you can get them into that to push them on a bit. I bought  a few little sad looking plants fro 20p from B&Q a couple of weeks ago and I potted them on yesterday into decent pots- they're about 6/8inches now and under cover. It's lovely you're carrying on a nice tradition- good luck!

06/06/2013 at 17:07

Now I've pone the big ones igiving plant pots they have seemed to have grown a little! It's hard to get hold of a green house as they are VERY expensive and I'm very tight on money at the moment!!! Is there anywhere I can get pretty cheap greenhouses from? 

Im not giving up!  

06/06/2013 at 17:29

dont lose hope. pot them on in fresh compost. u will definitely get fruits, but they might not ripen, but u can always try making green tomato chutney with the green toms.

06/06/2013 at 17:31

Have a look at Ebay: type 'small greenhouse' in the search box: there are some fairly cheap plastic greenhouses on sale from around £10.00 with free post & packing. Certainly OK as a temporary measure. I bought on a few years ago for £14.95 in a Garden Centre expecting it to last for just 1 season and it lasted 5 years. Finally expired this last winter so it was good value for money

06/06/2013 at 17:41

Oh dear, I just planted some that big (well, small), outside, and I bought them from the garden centre last weekend.

I am optimistic - they will do well. They are trailing bush type ones, maybe they don't need to be too big.

Good luck Jessica Rose, keep us informed.

06/06/2013 at 18:39

Thank you guys x

06/06/2013 at 19:03

It amazes me how so many Garden Centres still have plants on sale that are so behind they can never catch up. Not only that, I see too many that don't get watered properly either. Only yesterday we were in a garden centre and came across 3 trays of Calibreze plants that had really flopped over. Plants were about 4 inches high in a very lightweight compost that was so dry the slightest puff of a breeze would have blown them over. They had an ornamental fountain adjacent to them so I just took them and soaked them before putting them back on the shelf .

It's certainly worth giving your plants a try even if they are outside, you will need to give them some protection - if you don't have any cloches try putting some canes around the plants and wrapping some polythene sheet around to tent them in to keep the wind off them or they may suffer from wind burn. At worst you can use the green tomatoes for some chutney as franco6832 suggests but if good weather holds you should at least get a few ripe ones.

KEF
06/06/2013 at 20:19

Jessica, whatever happens with your toms, keep looking at the forum, it's good, we learn a lot about all sorts that we didn't even think we were interested in.  This time next year you'll have toms a foot high. All the best KEF.

06/06/2013 at 21:49
KEF wrote (see)

Jessica, whatever happens with your toms, keep looking at the forum, it's good, we learn a lot about all sorts that we didn't even think we were interested in.  This time next year you'll have toms a foot high. All the best KEF.

I'll bet they'll have grown to more than a foot high by August KEF let alone this time next year! JH

1 to 20 of 46 messages