London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
5 messages
16/06/2014 at 12:58
I have decided to grow trailing toms this year. I have 3 plants in separate large pots. Each plant has a few trusses of small green tomatoes on but now some of the fruit look strange. They are looking withered on one side of the fruit. Could this be tomato blight? I started using Tomerite to feed when the fruit first appeared. Also all the leaves have curled in on themselves. I had them originally growing in the conservatory but have now moved them outside. Any advice would be appreciated . Thank you
16/06/2014 at 13:07

Hi Natalie 

It doesn't sound like blight to me.  Tomato leaves often curl in on themselves due to temperature changes   Warm days and cool nights etc.  It shouldn't cause a problem.

Don't over-feed - as you say, a dose of Tomorite when the first truss sets, then another dose when the third truss sets, and another for the fifth is roughly what I do. 

I'm not sure what the withering on the fruit could be.  Can you show us a photo please?

To post a pic on here you need to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions.  Sadly it doesn't work for phones - yet 

If it doesn't work give us a shout 

16/06/2014 at 13:11

Uneven pollination?  Try tapping the flowers.  They're self-fertile but....

16/06/2014 at 13:15

Natalie, you do not say where you are in the UK or what type of plant you have.

My initial thought is you moved them outside too soon or too quickly, they hate the cold winds and rain. Even outside plants grown for the purpose would not be out in my area as yet, NE England. Are the leaves blue-ish in colour a sign of low temperature, are they in full sun during the day with a cover at night, our nights get quite cold. My feeding procedure is a small amount of feed in each can of water, little and often not a feast. With a bit more information we may have a better idea.

Frank. 

17/06/2014 at 19:12
Thank you all for your advice. I live in Scarborough , North yorks. It sounds like it may be too cold to put them outside just yet, I've brought them back in. I took a photo on my phone but couldn't download it. The leaves have a dark bluish tinge on the back. Sorry I don't have details of the variety but I do recall it saying that they were suitable for patio pots and hanging baskets. Thanks again. Natalie
email image
5 messages