Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

comp13

Hello guys, please can you look at my tomatoes and see if you have any idea why they are dying. Should I quickly take off the healthy ones now so they all don't die?

Thanks

Vivienne

Dovefromabove

Afraid that looks like a blight-type condition - lots of them about this year - the conditions have been perfect for it. The appearance of black blotches on the stems is a real indcator.

The fruits look as if they're changing colour so I'd remove them all - keeping them on the trusses if you can -  discard any blight affected fruits - and place the sound ones indoors in the warm.  Most of them will ripen.  It's what I've had to do with mine.

Take up the plants and bag and bin them.

comp13

okay thanks so you don't think it's anything we did? Also what do you mean by truss?

pansyface

Ventilation is one thing to think about - did they have a good breeze around them?

A truss is the little branch which has the tomatoes growing off it.

comp13

ok got it. Probably not enough ventilation, another lesson to learn for next year.

Advertisement

comp13

okay thanks so you don't think it's anything we did? Also what do you mean by truss?

comp13

what about these parsnips, do you think the blight got them too? thanks for your help.

Dovefromabove

Tomato blight only affects members of the solanum family (tomatoes, potatoes etc). 

It won't affect parsnips.  But those parsnips should be planted in the ground.  You won't get decent roots growing them in shallow containers.  They need a minimum  18" depth of soil.

comp13

Thanks for that really appreciate the advice.

so disappointed this year. My apple tree yielded 17 good and healthy-looking apples last year. This year there have been about 50 apples, and only about 6 edible. Either the birds have had them or theres marks on them The leaves are very poor and rusty looking.I rent the property, so am unable to chop it down. Any suggestions?

Welshonion
karools, why do you want to chop the tree down? The crops trees produce vary from year to year and it really is extreme to chop down a tree because you are disappointed with the yield this year.

Gardening is all about optimism; next year the apples will be better.
Dovefromabove

Apples with marks on them will still be mainly edible - the quest for supermarket perfection is something that even supermarkets are giving up.

Agree with welsh onion....cutting down the tree is drastic to say the least.  

Karools, have ??ou ever pruned your tree?    Did you leave apples on the tree a little too long?  Ripe, over ripe, apples will be attacked