London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
7 messages
19/07/2014 at 19:00

This is my third growing tomatoes and the third year i have had hard skins,last two years i have had Vandos,this year i have had Moneymaker & Gardeners Delight but all have had hard tough skins especially the Vandos,anyone have any idea what the problem is ???

Lyn
19/07/2014 at 19:44

Are you letting them ripen well on the plant.

19/07/2014 at 19:58

Never come across this problem.............a tough skin when you assume they are ripe to pick seems like the fruit hasn't developed properly ?

I don't fuss over my toms I admit but ate my first outdoor one today......just as delicious as I expected

Perhaps Italophile will have an explanation ?

20/07/2014 at 06:04

Hi James

There is 3 reasons why Tomatoes grow hard/thick skins

1/ Variety,  I  grow Gardeners Delight and have grown Money maker in the past so those 2 varieties dont have thick skins

2/ Underwatering, when tomato plants have too little water they develop thick skins it is a survival reaction on the plant to conserve water, thick skins on tomatoes hold the water better

3/ High temperatures, high heat can also cause a tomato plant to have thick skins, tomato fruit can suffer from sunscald the tomato will start to produce tougher skins, tougher skins are less likely to burn in the intense sunlight

22/07/2014 at 17:37

Thanks all for their inputs.

cheers

06/08/2014 at 08:52

Anyone recommend a variety that does not seem to have this problem,with not having a lot experience growing Toms,as far as watering goes I seem over water rather than under water

07/08/2014 at 10:51

Stay away from the plum varieties - Roma, San Marzano, etc - to avoid thick skins. Unless you're intending to make sauce, in which case the thicker skins are an advantage.

Sounds from Buddyboy's experience that it's not variety-related. Never grown those varieties so I wouldn't know. In addition to his suggestions, overfertilising can also cause thicker skins.

email image
7 messages