London (change)
Today 6°C / 1°C
Tomorrow 6°C / -2°C
6 messages
19/07/2014 at 19:00

This is my third growing tomatoes and the third year i have had hard skins,last two years i have had Vandos,this year i have had Moneymaker & Gardeners Delight but all have had hard tough skins especially the Vandos,anyone have any idea what the problem is ???

Lyn
19/07/2014 at 19:44

Are you letting them ripen well on the plant.

19/07/2014 at 19:58

Never come across this problem.............a tough skin when you assume they are ripe to pick seems like the fruit hasn't developed properly ?

I don't fuss over my toms I admit but ate my first outdoor one today......just as delicious as I expected

Perhaps Italophile will have an explanation ?

22/07/2014 at 17:37

Thanks all for their inputs.

cheers

06/08/2014 at 08:52

Anyone recommend a variety that does not seem to have this problem,with not having a lot experience growing Toms,as far as watering goes I seem over water rather than under water

07/08/2014 at 10:51

Stay away from the plum varieties - Roma, San Marzano, etc - to avoid thick skins. Unless you're intending to make sauce, in which case the thicker skins are an advantage.

Sounds from Buddyboy's experience that it's not variety-related. Never grown those varieties so I wouldn't know. In addition to his suggestions, overfertilising can also cause thicker skins.

email image
6 messages