Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
13 messages
20/04/2013 at 09:37

hi all

just a novice gardiner

first year for growing tomatoes

bought some shirleys and they seem to be doing fine

bought a san marzano plant after a week its leaves are going brown from the top of the plant downwards

any advice please

20/04/2013 at 10:44
Where are they? Sounds like sun scorch to me - shocking though it may be, when the sun does come out it is intense for small plants. If you think it could be that then Keep them in a bright spot but not in all day direct sunlight. Don't remove the leaves. They should recover.
21/04/2013 at 07:15

they are in greenhouse

thanks for advice

21/04/2013 at 08:28
I agree with my Cornish cousin....sun scorch.
Are they in pots or in soil?
Some fleece might be a good idea and ....without over watering....make sure they do not dry out
21/04/2013 at 08:59

You can afford to let the mix dry out providing you don't leave it bone dry. Permanently damp roots can cause more problems than underwatering.

21/04/2013 at 13:37

they are in pots with tomato grow bag compost

only had 2 sunny days in last week

will it recover or should i just bin it

thx for advice

21/04/2013 at 14:15
Jampot, tomato plants aren't expensive.
If me, I would get fresh supply. Time is everything and I would rather have tomatoes growing right now than stagnating over recovery.....which they may or not do
Each time I repot a tomato I plant a bit deeper.. I,think it helps to create a bigger better root system.
Keep warm and repot as soon as roots are seen....that's my way anyway. Fleece in hot sunshine until they are a decent size and water to avoid drying out
21/04/2013 at 16:59

thx verdun

21/04/2013 at 17:42

Verd-I've got my toms in little 3" pots just now and they're needing to move on-what would you recommend? Should I put them straight into their 'final' pots or put them in 5" or similar first?

21/04/2013 at 17:54
Hiya Fairygirl,
Best to pot on in slightly bigger pots each time....and plant a tad deeper each time I think.
I grow tomatoes quite well but this year I've got a few ideas for better cropping. Well, a gathering of info that makes sense, in theory anyway. Ideas from people who seem to grow huge crops, ideas from recent science and ideas from understanding how toms grow.
Prob be a total failure though.
21/04/2013 at 18:18

Transplanting deeply encourages strong root growth. Any stem that is buried will become root structure. When transplanting into their final home, I take off all branches and leaves up to the top foliage, the canopy. Plant so that the canopy is virtually sitting on the soil. Just lift the leaves a tad when watering until the canopy grows up clear of the soil. It won't take long.

21/04/2013 at 19:05

Yes I always plant them deeper and in bottomless pots in a tray of compost (like a grow bag) and it gives them a good food source to draw on. This is the first time I've grown from seed so just wanted to see if it was best to give them another home before their final one!

Thanks Verd and Italophile! 

Keep us updated on your experiment Verd 

21/04/2013 at 19:17
Ok will do fairygirl
email image
13 messages