London (change)
Today 11°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 8°C
9 messages
10/07/2013 at 21:02

hiya this is the first time i have had a greenhouse or a garden for that matter,i have planted some cucumber plants and tomatoes a white mist has developed over the grow bags and also my tomatoes leaves have started to curl up can anybody tell me what is going wrong and how to correct the problem

Lyn
10/07/2013 at 21:29

Can you explain white mist, sounds a bit ghostly!.

10/07/2013 at 21:30

Tomato leaves curling is usually nothing to worry about - it can be caused by extremes of temperature, so make sure all vents and the door is open during the day and closed at night.  Not sure what you mean about the white mist - is this a thin white layer on the top of the compost?

10/07/2013 at 21:34

A white mist ?? Might be white powdery mildew.

Cucumbers are prone to getting this on their leaves at this time of year. You need better circulation and increased humidity inside the greenhouse using water and 2 sources of air-vents. If this has just appeared, spray leaves with diluted milk and water for a couple days. 

I usually suffer from WPM but this year, I increased C & H and up till now...everythings perfect.

Curled leaves on tomatoes is ok, usually means at this time of year - too hot followed by cold. But do check for aphids, just to be sure.

KEF
10/07/2013 at 22:41

Good call Bob & Marsh....will try water & milk if needed, new one on me. I always grow toms & cumber seperately, and keep cumbers very humid, trays of water, mist etc. looking good this year, already giving some away. Still waiting for anything like a full sized tom. 

11/07/2013 at 06:23

Yes Lynn the mist is quite ghostly

11/07/2013 at 08:47
I have cucumbers in my greenhouse there are quite a few flowers, but how do I tell I which are male or femail flowers? Is it the male that give bitter fruits ?
11/07/2013 at 08:51

joy, the female flowers have miniature fruit at their base, the male flowers are just flowers on a small stalk. The male exists only to pollinate the female. It won't produce fruit.

Here are some photos to show you.

11/07/2013 at 09:00

my grandads tip for getting rid of mildew was a mix made up of

mix of washing soda (sodium carbonate)  with water.. just a weak solution .. it leaves a non toxic residue on the leaves and stops mildew and is also good for black spot on your roses.

email image
9 messages