London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 33 messages
clk
01/11/2013 at 21:57

As usual I'm late with everything. I have lots of daffodil, crocus and allium bulbs - is it too late to plant them?

clk
01/11/2013 at 22:00

No, get them in there.  Bulbs have been planted much later than this.

01/11/2013 at 22:25

Not at all, it's the perfect time to get them in

clk
01/11/2013 at 22:26

A Sunday or Monday job for me then (weather forecast good for York). I'll be trying out my new bulb planter too.

clk
01/11/2013 at 22:31

I love spring bulbs, always worth the effort of planting them when you see them flower in the spring

clk
01/11/2013 at 22:42

Isn't it just! My only trouble is remembering where I already have them planted so I end up slicing them up. Perhaps another problem is that I love spring flowers so much and my spring garden looks amazing but in July/Aug it's very dull.

clk
02/11/2013 at 23:03

I know that feeling,  I wish I'd palnted a lot of my crocus and grape hycaniths a lot deeper. Think they are  fairly tough, any split bulbs I just replant in the hope they re grow.

clk
03/11/2013 at 23:29

hollie hock, your post made me wonder if there's both a maximum and minimum depth because it would be useful for avoiding damage to bulbs if I could plant them to a maximum depth. Also, what are the chances that a sliced bulb will grow?

clk
04/11/2013 at 07:59

clk -If you plant some late flowering perennials where you've planted your bulbs that will give you the colour you want later on. Geraniums, hostas, japanese anemones and sedums are a few which are great for that.  Marking them is the only other way to avoid chopping them. A ring of gravel or twigs is what I usually use. 

04/11/2013 at 08:39

I think daffodils need to be in now. ,if you can't get them in the ground pot them up. 

04/11/2013 at 09:21

If you are not sure where your bulbs are in the garden and you have new ones to add eah Autumn, why not start the new ones in suitably sized pots ( I would go for cramming in 3s or 5s in pots only just big enough) and they can flower thus. Next Spring you can plant them out among your original plantings with no fear of damage.

04/11/2013 at 18:00

hey clk - you could sow some wildflower seed.  It is pretty drab during spring, but jumps into life during july and august.

04/11/2013 at 18:01

WW what a clever idea. So simple really. Thank you

I was wondering what to do with my tulips- I didn't want to chop the rest of my bulbs up.Should they go in 1L pots for the depth or larger?

04/11/2013 at 18:15

1L will do fine. The first year they rely almost solely on the bulb for everything they need. As they start growing, start to feed with tomorite to buid up a strong plant which stands a reasonable chance of succeeding in the future. Depth in the pot is not crucial , but it is important when you plant out.

Tulips aren't always good repeaters for lots of us. It depends on the variety, your conditions and a slice of luck. You can grow as annuals and pull them out each year after they have flowered. 2 inches deep is enough when grown as annuals. This method, whilst not the cheapest, has the merit of guaranteeing flowers and I like to try different types each year.

07/11/2013 at 18:55

Do go ahead and plant! I always plant tulips deeply and have many that have been in for years. As others have said remember to feed.

Lyn
08/11/2013 at 10:05

My daughter bough some daffs last year and planted them in Jan, they were lovely and flowered at the usual time. She does live in Cornwall though, not sure if this would work in other areas.

I have just put my daffs in, tulips soon, alliums, no rush, end of the month will do.

08/11/2013 at 10:13

Late planting is fine.... the bulb is probably on the move even before it is planted! If you laid a bulb on top of the soil I would bet it would make a valiant effort to flower.

08/11/2013 at 11:36

Hi clk, I don't know if there's a maximum depth for bulbs, the general rule seems to be twice the depth of the bulb, but I would think that you could plant deeper than that.  I know they are pretty tough things and seem to find there way up out of anything.

10/11/2013 at 08:44

Most of my spring bulbs have shoots showing above the ground. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

10/11/2013 at 09:21

I shouldn't think you've done anything wrong unless you've planted them VERY shallowly. Some of mine are shooting. It's so mild this year that everything is growing.

First frost here this morning but no more frost forecast for the next few days.

They'll sort themselves out. They alwaysdo

1 to 20 of 33 messages