London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
18 messages
09/08/2014 at 11:25

....Sweet Williams and Wild Rocket for next year?  It says May-June on the packets and with one thing and another I didn't get round to it, will it be ok sown now?

09/08/2014 at 11:30
Dunno about the wild rocket as ive never done it, would prob be ok tho, but the sweet williams should be fine
09/08/2014 at 11:32

Not sure OL, does it have a use by date......could you wait till next May.  

09/08/2014 at 11:33

I sow wild rocket regularly and it will germinate very quickly just now OL, although the sowings this year have gone to seed very rapidly but I just take the flower spikes off and use it anyway.  I find it's perennial for me - not sure how that happens! I had a plant last year that I'd had for several years. I let it go to seed and left it for the bees. 

09/08/2014 at 11:35

Sweet williams are tough cookies so I'd just go ahead and sow them in the open ground.  I' had such a good crop from my self-saved seed that I have them in several patches in the garden - of course they won't flower till next year.

I'm about to sow viola seed - last year I had so many plants |I had to fill my pots and planters with them and they flowered all winter - indeed the last ones are still flowering.

09/08/2014 at 11:35

The use by date is fine Lily as they are new seeds, I was more concerned about the timings and whether sowing them a let would mean them not flowering next spring.  I think I got the wild rocket one wrong.....its a sweet smelling flower not actual eating rocket......I'll go and check 

09/08/2014 at 11:39
Oh sweet rocket? That should be fine to sow now too as the plants are in flower - i usually sow just after the plants flower as thats obviously the natural time to do it

Sow as many sweet williams as you can! They need no care and the flowers last for ages in a vase
09/08/2014 at 11:58

I started sweet williams off 3 weeks  in compost and pricked out into peat pots - now have nice strong little plants to put out soon, or may try some in a pot. Sweet williams sown eight years ago are still growing strong.

09/08/2014 at 13:49

Ooh, fab thank you everyone  And yes it is sweet rocket.....silly muppet me LOL 

09/08/2014 at 13:52
Easily mixed up OL, just dont eat it
09/08/2014 at 15:17

sweet rocket smells wonderful , especially in the evening, and the insects love it too

09/08/2014 at 18:03

OL, you have permission to kick my ar*e if you already know this, but sweet Williams are biennials ie sow the seed this year and they will flower next year.

In fact it is getting a tad late to sow the seed now......July is really stretching a bit to ensure flowers for next year.

I sow the seed in a nursery bed in the open anytime from March to early summer, then transplant the young plants into the open from around now to September. Next spring lift the plants & plant them where they are to flower......much the as for wallflowers btw.

Don't be too fussy with them....I like to think of them as a pretty weed. 

PS. Be prepared for them to self-seed and become a nuisance.

09/08/2014 at 18:17

OL...when you say Sweet Rocket do you mean Hesperis matronalis or do you mean the much smaller annual which I have also known as Sweet Rocket ( I'm afraid I don't know the proper name but perhaps Nutcutlet or Dove will ? )

Only asking because a couple of years ago I bought some seeds of "Sweet Rocket" expecting it to be the annual ( much more slender and delicate than Hes. m but still scented ).  I thought it a bit odd when they germinated and grew ever larger.  Whilst I'm more than pleased with my Hesperis M. and wouldn't be without them, I had been expecting the little jobs. 

09/08/2014 at 21:33

Thank you David and I wouldn't dream of kicking your a***, you are far more knowledgeable than me. However, yes I did know they were a biennial which is why I bought them several weeks ago to sow and obviously got severely sidetracked. I'm hoping to sow them tomorrow,mi presume the worse that can happen is that they will flower a year later?

Philippa, I don't know the proper name sorry but I do know they aren't annuals as I purposely bought seeds that were biennials/perennials at the time.

09/08/2014 at 21:34

I've had to do a separate post as my iPad stopped me typing!!!

I actually bought the sweet rocket because I read that it had a lovely scent in the evening, I think I read it in GW magazine 

10/08/2014 at 10:54

I still say there's no harm in sowing right now - seedpackets are notoriously conservative in their advice - lets face it, the sweet williams that flowered this year have just dropped their seed into the ground and that is going to grow without any help from me!

Most seeds will keep for several years, though germination rates diminish as the years go by, and parsnips - well they have to be grown from fresh seed.

10/08/2014 at 10:59
Orchid Lady wrote (see)

I've had to do a separate post as my iPad stopped me typing!!!

I actually bought the sweet rocket because I read that it had a lovely scent in the evening, I think I read it in GW magazine 

I think they might have been quoting me!   It has a fabulous scent, just as it's turning dusk - it's one of my absolute favourites 

10/08/2014 at 11:04

I've checked the packet (Mr Fothergills) and it doesn't have a 'proper' name, just says sweet rocket.  Also, rather ironically,  I forgot I had forget me nots too!!

email image
18 messages