London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
8 messages
06/08/2012 at 11:48

My hubbie is a hard landscaper and has transformed our garden with new fences and patios. I have spent the last 2 summers trying to disguise as much of the new fence as possible with honeysuckle and clematis but there are areas in the beds along the fences where nothing will grow - in fact plants die in certain spots! Ive tried digging down and out away from the fence but the amount of cement he used when putting in the fence posts means there is not much space for planting.

So, my question. what can i plant for good ground cover in between the climbers that dont need to be planted too deep.

06/08/2012 at 13:38

Ajuga, Lamium, Ivy.

06/08/2012 at 23:37

Can you not add some more topsoil to the beds so that you have a bit more depth for roots to get going on plants.

06/08/2012 at 23:55

please dont use Ivy, it will take over and you'll spend your life trying to get rid of it.

You could get OH to take out some of the concrete

07/08/2012 at 11:04

You could also try some of the geraniums - I  have an area which has 3 posts with trellis attached and some of the border has a fair bit of cement in it. I used '' Johnson's Blue and you also get the added attraction of millions of bees during flowering .

09/08/2012 at 19:40

Sparklepinksunflower I wholeheartedly agree.  I'd also add Vinca (periwinkle) to that avoid list.  Pretty, but must be ruled with a rod of iron.

09/08/2012 at 20:21

Train your climbers over the bald sections of wall.

09/08/2012 at 21:50

try sedum, sempervivums and saxifrages, we inherited some 'stonecrop' in our front, rock hard clay, south facing garden and it just spreads everywhere, so I just cut holes in it when I want to plant something else and I get flowers that the bees just love too- lots more friendly than that vinca!

email image
8 messages