Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 67 replies

Tootles

Yep, it's a nightmare! We set off really early and are stuck in Chesterfield where it's gridlock. 

Sooooo annoying!!!!

Tootles

What a disaster! If you are coming tomorrow set off now, bring your lottery winnings if you want to buy anything, get into training to trek from the car park to the show, best of luck finding any actual plant stalls, and if you want lunch, good luck!

I feel like a complete mug for being so excited. Never again.

Kitty 2

What a shame Tootles.  There's nothing wrong with being excited for what should have been a lovely day out.  You must be so disappointed.

On top of the bad weather, it sounds like a case of poor planning by the organizers contributed to your awful day.  

I'm sorry that your visit wasn't the great one you had planned 

It was fabulous ! Yes there were queues, but there were 20,000 people today. The car park was obviously full, but it's a pleasant walk across the river

the staff were really helpful. The grounds were rather waterlogged, but staff were diligent in putting down bark clippings and plastic paths. Rather too many wheel chairs and buggies but it was brilliant

The gardens were much less formal than I've seen at other shows, some lovely wildflower gardens, very inspirational

the exhibitors must have had a nightmare recovering from yesterday

i bought lots of plants, there were some good offers, took a picnic

dont be discouraged by the previous post ( altho it's all sold out I think)

Advertisement

Tootles

We can't have been at the same show. The staff we spoke to were all, and I mean ALL, pulling their hair out and complaining that is was disorganised chaos, as were the majority of people we met. One woman staff member was actually crying!!

I feel very sorry for the stall holders, again a lot complaining of it being really badly organised. Yes, some lovely stalls but we saw no gardens - perhaps that is because there were no signs and we didn't much feel like forking out £5 for a map after paying for a ticket and sitting in traffic for three hours!

I know the weather yesterday must have been challenging, but conditions were downright dangerous. We saw two mobility scooters stuck in the mud. We also saw one poor lady fall flat on the wet steep temporary bridge. We saw two people carted off on stretchers.  One of the maintenance men was saying the temporary walk ways all needed lifting tonight because they weren't put down properly. 

And what about seating?? People were sitting on the wet ground! 

A pleasant walk to find your car it may be if you can tackle hills, mud and miles - not suitable for the two people over 75 that I was with. 

They have decided to keep it open for an extra hour tonight to "make up" for the problems. What a joke. Better off banging the organisers heads together to improve it before tomorrow.  

Tootles

Really safe!

RHS have posted an apology on Facebook

I can hardly think you can blame them for the weather, and people who decided to use wheelchairs and pushchairs did so at their own risk - that would have been the same whether they were out walking in the countryside

I didn't buy a guide but managed to find all the show gardens, it was hardly challenging

the stall holders were all very chirpy

we took waterproof stuff to sit on because we had noticed it was raining and wet ground is a natural result of rain

This is the first year they've done it, I would expect there to have been some lessons learned but myself and friends - in late 60s- had a fab day

wakeshine

Oh dear. We're going on Sunday and taking my young cousin from abroad who's on her first ever trip out of her home country. We are showing her the UK and thought Chatsworth flower show would be a nice introduction! Is it really that bad? Also my mum has plantar fascitis and can't walk much. So it'd be nice if there are seats dotted about in case she needs to rest. 

pansyface

HOW FRUSTRATING FOR YOU, TOOTLES.

TO BE FAIR, I DON'T THINK THAT ANYONE COULD HAVE CLEARED UP THAT AMOUNT OF SURFACE WATER OR WIND BLOWN DEBRIS IN 24 HOURS. I AM A COUPLE OF MILES FROM CHATSWORTH AND THE WHOLE AREA IS WRECKED.

HOWEVER, I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT IT IS A LOUSY PLACE FOR MASS EVENTS. ALL THE ROUTES IN ARE JUST NARROW, TWISTING COUNTRY LANES. CRAZY.

NO REFUNDS SUGGESTED FOR THOSE WHO FOUND THEMSELVES LITERALLY BOGGED DOWN, I DARE SAY.

pansyface

WAKESHINE, I SAW IN THE LOCAL PAPER

A limited number of electric scooters and wheelchairs are available for use at the show and can be booked by calling 01353 653 752. A charge of £10 is made for wheelchair hire and £25 for electric scooter hire.

I WOULDN'T TRUST TO LUCK, I WOULD ORDER ONE OF THESE. YOU MIGHT ALL BE FIGHTING OVER WHO GETS TO USE IT.

Tootles

No one is blaming anyone for the weather. That would be silly. But the organisers are responsible for the small matter of health and safety, adequate facilities, access for all including those in wheelchairs (who don't just 'decide' to use one!).

I'm glad you, and I am sure others, had a fab day. Sadly it did not reach my expectations on a number of levels - and I'm not about to reduce those I'm afraid. 

Hope they do some serious work overnight to improve it so that anyone going after today enjoys it as much as Anne17. 

Good luck!

I'm going on Sunday to...😞

fidgetbones

We left Mansfield for 8.30 and hit Chesterfield just after 9. The traffic was moving until about a mile from the Baslow Island, The big gates had been opened, we were in by 10.15 and parked row 14. We then had to walk to join the huge queue to get in. As Mum had no chance, I joined the queue which snaked up past the house, in front of the stables and started to snake down the other side. 15 minutes  later, I collected Mum and Sis , and another 10 minutes we were in.  The coffee place ran out of water as we got to the front of the queue. The white peak restaurant would not serve us as we hadn't booked. ( It was empty, more staff than customers) Mum nearly went tits up by the floral bridge, that corner is dangerous the slope needs sorting . Everywhere was sodden, mud everywhere. I expect the rest of the week to get worse unless they sort out a load more bark chippings. Shops  were struggling to process credit cards as the mobile signal was poor. ( Middle of Derbyshire in a valley). That said, I liked most of the gardens except the one that looked like fly tipping, and the one that was the quarry men stand. A nice slab of stone and some rusty metal. Again, not what I call a garden.

Eagle sweet peas had a wonderful stand.   The abutilons on the helter skelter moved directly from Chelsea. I also noted a good peony stand, one with dahlias and gladioli and lots of plants for sale at fairly reasonable prices. I didn't buy any as I have no space, but noted a lot for next year.  Fantasywire have some giant dandelions by the floral bridge, and a small stand.  Considering the site was evacuated yesterday  on health and safety grounds as the wind was knocking over palm trees, I don't think they did too bad. Obviously plenty of room for improvement. Anyone going, start early, wear wellies.  I found the most gorgeous oak table and seats. a snip at nearly £30,000. Ha. not unless I win the lottery.  There was stuff from plants at 3 for a tenner to the skies the limit.

Coming out we got a ride on a shuttle bus to the car, and exited the way we came in, again slowly. We got back to mums around 7pm.  Totally cream crackered.

Advertisement

Obelixx

I am a regular visitor to Chelsea which has been going for over 100 years.  There is never enough seating for lunch/snacks etc and none at all in the main show garden and pavilion areas.  I always take a black plastic bin bag to sit on, a sandwich or baguette and bottled water to avoid long queues and high prices.

Definitely book a wheelchair ahead or take a lightweight folding seat if there are none left and you have people with mobility problems booked to go with you.   Wear comfy clothes and shoes.

Above all, enjoy yourselves.    

pansyface

I DIDN'T GO TOOTLES.

FIRSTLY, A CROWD OF PEOPLE ANYWHERE, ANYTIME IS MY IDEA OF HELL ON EARTH.

SECONDLY, I HAVE NO INTENTION OF GIVING THE DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE ANY OF MY DOSH.

fidgetbones

Oh and the furthest bridge over the river, started to get a wobble on. Really wobbly. Like something out of Harry Potter. All we needed was a dementor sweeping down the valley.

Obelixx

Need a lot of chocolate then!

Tootles

I realise I'm in a MASSIVE grump so sorry if my post has put anyone off going. I'm sure given so much negative / constructive feedback they will be working hard over night to improve things.

I'm also sure that after a good nights sleep I will feel less annoyed.  So on that note I'm off to bed! Tomorrow's a new day and I've booked it off work - roses to tidy up!

Night night X X