Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tree being cut in half by a tree tie

I've got a nice little tree at the end of the garden but having looked at it at closely while autumn pruning it I have discovered it had been tied to a post when small and the tie has not been extended as it's grown image.  I may be able to get it off the tree, but it is well embedded into the bark.  What's the best thing to do?  Cut it and try and peel it away, if so should I do anything with the  wound?  Or should I just cut the tie and hope that the tree will grow over it and be OK?  Advice please as I have no idea what to do for the best

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

if you leave it, the plant will almost certainly die. I'd have  a go at removing it. IMHO , you have nothing to lose.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think I'd go with Edd on that one though the future may not be too good either way

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
    Also agree with Edd, if it doesn't come off easily just cut it through and cross your fingers. It's possible that the tie will be subsumed by the tree as it grows. You do sometimes see trees that have engulfed railings etc to no apparent ill effect.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • Thanks All, sounds like I might lose the tree, but I'll try cutting the tie and seeing if it comes away at all but not force it image  Hope it survives it'd quite pretty and a nice size image

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

That's incredible Edd!

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Might be an idea to cut it in several places.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Hello Ed is right just cut the tie and leave it , the tree will grow over it 

It should be OKimage

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

For Sale:

Yamaha XS 650 Special

Hasn't run for a while but should be OK with a bit of TLC and WD40

Buyer to collect, trailer and tree surgeon required

• image WOW!  If a tree can grow over a motor bike, I'm sure mine can cope with the tie.  I've managed to cut it off and there are 2 areas where it was not fully embedded so hopefully the tree can manage with that

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

I would not attempt to remove the tie.  Cut it where it's exposed and leave it alone.  I've seen trees which have sections of fence embedded in them and they survive quite happily.  You're far more likely to cause damage if you try to remove it.