Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

tree disease

We have a number of ash and Horse chestnut trees on our property.

So far the ash are fine but I will be looking out for die back next year.

The chestnuts have bleeding canker and I am dreading losing them ... should I have them removed now to prevent fiurther spread or can I enjoy my trees for a few more years. I really need expert advice on this 

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

There's no need to get rid of the horse chestnuts according to the RHS - the infection can stabilize and the tree last for years - have a look here.

Ash - if you have mountain ash your trees are safe. Otherwise, it is a notifiable disease; details of symptoms and who to contact here.

• jo17jo17 Posts: 65

Thanks for that.... a relief about the chestnuts. I have ash and rowan .... do rowan not get it ?

• I have had two horse chestnuts die over the last few years and the advice to me was even when dead leave them standing as they are a good source of food etc for many birds, creepy crawlies...unless they are unsafe, in which case have them felled. Mine have gently toppled over (into my neighbour's unused garden - I didn't push them, honest! image ) and are lying covered in ivy gradually disintergrating and providing homes for all manner of animals.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

No rowan (and sorbus) are mountain ash, and so not affected.