Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

tree fern

I have had a tree fern for about ten years,it is about 4ft tall and is planted in an old oak barrel,each winter it is wrapped in fleece and straw is packed into the rcown.It seems that each year the fronds are getting smaller and there are not so many of them(last year there were 8)any ideas to give it a bit of a boost?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Are you feeding your tree fern well?  And watering it well?  From having seen them growing naturally they like to grow in the shade.  Is yours in the shade?

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Its being well watered and is in partial shade,havent fed it,any suggestions

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

GillyL, are you saying it has been in an old oak barrel for 10 years and you haven't given it anything to eat?  No wonder it is fading before your eyes.

Do not now go to the other extreme and over-feed it.  Do it correctly and regularly.

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

any ideas on what feed would be good?

• have   just  purchased   five   varieties  of   gloriosa   any   advice  on   cultivation

• have    just   purchased   five   varieties  of   gloriosa   any  advice  on  cultivation

• ScotyboyScotyboy Posts: 5

Very good Tree fern liquid food available in garden centres.  I have been using it regularly for the last two years and my tree fern is looking good, this year I guess I will have four or five good new fronds very soon. Keep it moist , feed regularly as per instructions, and cover crown with old leaves in winter.   Good luck.