London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 20°C
6 messages
22/05/2013 at 09:50

I took a closer look at my tree lillies to try to see what are eating the tree lily buds and a spider came running out and dropped down on a web this happened on most of the lilies. The spider was fingernail size and very pale creamy/pink. what can these be?

22/05/2013 at 09:53

can anyone help

22/05/2013 at 09:56

Spiders eat insects as a rule and may be preying on whatever is eating your buds so be careful what you squash

22/05/2013 at 11:30

It could well be lily beetles, or their larvae, causing the damage. Spiders don't eat plants, so they're not too blame.

Look out for bright scarlet beetles or their larvae, which look like small piles of bird droppings.

22/05/2013 at 16:57

I have lacy effect lillies thanks to red lily beetles that i found and destroyed at the weekend. I sprayed and now i am checking daily to see if there are more but so far they are ok

22/05/2013 at 18:39

I wonder if the spider has been eating the lily beetle or the grubs, and this has turned it pink?  It's probably the beetle that has been decimating your lilies, it's bright red, the eggs are laid on the underside of the leaves, and the eggs are bright red.  The larvae cover themselves in their own poo in order to disguise their colour.

Disgusting creatures, and should be destroyed on sight.

email image
6 messages