Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tree seems to be bleeding

Hi all, I need help again my Whitebeam seems to be bleeding.  I cleaned it yesterday but agsin today I saw it again and took a photo.  I also noted a perfect hole in the trunk not a big hole but the trunk is not that big .  The whole is some way up the trunk and perfectly cylindrical .

please can anyone help and tell me what to do to save the thee.  It been in the garden 3 years.

thank all you so much.

• mushermusher Posts: 389

Hi Cat,

It could be a condition called bacterial wet wood. Its a sign that the tree has been injured,  lacking nutrition or both. To avoid bacterial gases building up inside the tree and bad bacterial sap leeching down tbe trunk. Put a drainage system in to the tree.Perhaps inserting a hollow metal tube in that hole in the trunk. So sap drips a way from the tree.Keep the drainage in until it heals.

Another reason why trees bleed. If they haven't enough room to develope. To much competition from other tress and plants bleeding some times occur. or wroung location

just a thought, the round hole. No one been taking pot shots at it with a air rifle

• Cat 3Cat 3 Posts: 107

imageimage

Musher, there are other trees nearby which were not there last year but there is room.  No there are no shots - would be a fantastic shot!

I have taken more photos .  I clean the eggy fungus off every day but I am getting a bit weary now.  I have put chicken manure down and sprayed with washing up liquid,  still not sure what the eggy stuff is,image

• I think you have an insect borer at work there - the stuff on the ground is the frass produced by the large beetle grub inside your tree.  Hopefully it's not this:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf/WebPRByCountryLang/DBF28E04AB49081280257A3F004C8CD6

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.