London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
10 messages
24/04/2012 at 15:58
Can someone help? every morning I am greeted by the sorry sight of my beautiful tulip heads on the floor something is beheading them but the heads are not eaten or chewed just on the floor I can see tiny little chew marks on the stem.I have been out at night and it isn't slugs or snails I am baffled and pretty fed up.
24/04/2012 at 16:07

It could be rabbits or mice - probably the latter if the chew marks are tiny. The only preventative measure that I can think of is a fine wire cage that you stand over the tulips at night - or mouse traps.

24/04/2012 at 16:47

Squirrels are also known to do this. It's happened to some of mine this year. For some reason only the white ones have been attacked. 

25/04/2012 at 15:50

Many Thanks

25/04/2012 at 15:57

Also had this problem which I think has been caused by squirrels but like gol1locks only certain colours, they are obviously fussy animals! www.alisonpike.com/blog/

25/04/2012 at 19:37

Gold1locks - maybe it's because the white ones are much easier to see in the dark!

25/04/2012 at 19:57
Well they did take a few red ones in pots but I had nine beautiful white ones edged in lavender that I had planted directly into a small bed I now only have 4 left but why do they just chomp through them why don`t they eat them it doesn`t make sense maybe we should have mice asbos
25/04/2012 at 20:07
Oh forgot to mention I have mice squirrels, a very friendly rat ,foxes bats and a whole host of different birds that visit me including jays woodpeckers and a very beautiful sparrowhawk but it was probably the little tiny mice I have seen scurrying around the garden on the odd occasion as they are quite shy.You probably think I am daft but I won`t kill anything ,i will just have to pot them up next year and hope vaseline on the pots works,i was convinced it was slugs never gave a thought about it being mice.i planted all of the bulbs in chicken wire baskets to stop squirrels eating them or digging them up so it is ironic really and very sad to see the beautiful heads chopped off.
25/04/2012 at 21:21

I think it's mice or squirrels, too.  This year I've seen more of this than usual with the tulips, but at least my clematis are being left alone!  Last year something was nibbling many new shoots and completely decimated two Hagley Hybrid (group 3) which were eaten back to ground level, and I thought may have been killed.  Luckily they are both back this year!

28/04/2012 at 15:31
Glad they grew back Bob how come they never get a taste for dandelions
email image
10 messages