Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

DorsetUK

There's a small clump of Twayblades in one of the woods here.  They've been there many years but they are right on the edge of a main path.  That wasn't a problem for a long time as they're not really what you could call 'stand out and shout' plants.  However the local committee have been thinning out trees and enthusiastic unwanted undergrowth and using a small tractor and trailer to remove the consequent piles. That travels along this path and has flattened the emerging  orchids. It would be difficult to drive along without running over them especially as you can't actually see them unless you know exactly where they are. Everything except the narrow path is on a hillside so driving the opposite side would risk tipping the tractor over.  Question is will they move successfully? A metre or so would do

DorsetUK

Most of it does get done late in the year but there's lots of clearing up and it's individuals doing that when they can.  I think they've stopped anyway now but the damage is done for this year and I don't think the Twayblades will recover enough to flower. When the village first acquired the wood there was just me and occasionally one or two others for the first 5 years, then a committee was formed to combine the Millennium Green, the Village Hall grounds and the wood which all run consecutively along the river. So I opted out, very few appeared to be aware of what I had been doing anyway.

I rather lost any confidence in Wildlife Trusts when I observed a bunch of primary school pupils planting bluebells in another of the local woods.  Poor tatty looking bunches held in hot little hands, a hasty scraping of the ground, bluebells laid down and another hasty scraping to cover them.  All supervised by the Wildlife Trust rangers.  That was bad enough but I also took one of the rangers a little further along the path to where there was a magnificent display of Red Elf fungus. Was she interested? She didn't even pretend to be. And no, not a single bluebell survived that traumatic experience

Dovefromabove

I suppose there are some and some - Suffolk and Norfolk Trusts have been pretty good in my experience

Welshonion
You say it is a local committee doing the work. Have you contacted them? All of them?

Advertisement

DorsetUK

Welsh Onion: Oh yes but the problem is that they can't get to the top line of the wood except by this route and it would be too far to carry the rubbish/logs by hand or even wheelbarrow.  That's what I used to do but these are all busy people!! It's no use marking the orchids up, the tractor and trailer (both small garden ones) cannot move over either way without a danger of tipping over.  The easiest solution would be to move the orchids. They have not spread in the considerable number of years I've been recording them so these three plants are what there is.  I've tried googling Twayblades but there doesn't seem to be much useful info available.  They would probably dig them up for me but none of them are what I would call gardeners, very useful as far as the wood is concerned re hoicking out the undergrowth and chopping down trees but probably wouldn't recognise an Early Purple Orchid let alone an insignificant looking  Green one

Welshonion
I would suspect they are a protected plant and they are breaking the law by damaging them. They are certainly pretty uncommon.

It is possible to protect plants by putting down the metal bridges which farmers use to cross pipes carrying liquid muck to the fields? In my experience some plants are very specific as to where they will grow and if you move them they may be lost completely.

It may even protect them best if a metal plate is put over them, because at least the roots will still be there. It is sad though that plants can be destroyed so mindlessly and easily.
pansyface

Twayblades:  I have them in my "lawn". They only grow in the wet part at the bottom of the hill and on the shady side of the garden. If you could find a spot like that and you can still see the squashed leaves I'd try digging them up. There can't be much to lose now. I believe that they have roots a bit like dahlias.

To cheer you up, I have attached a picture of what I think are some early purple orchids, photographed this morning in the Peak District.

DorsetUK

I've spoken to the main tractor man who says he hasn't seen them but has been keeping as high uphill as he can.  Apparently they had a tree man in and he took a 4 wheel drive through which is probably what's done the damage.  Tomorrow I'm marking the area off BUT I found one flowering amongst the red current bushes  flourishing there so all is not lost.  It's only about 12 " off the path but is close to a tree so the vehicles haven't been over it.  Not sure that my tway blades would be happy with your suggestion Pansyface, they're growing on a dry chalk hillside in a very shady spot.  They have to compete with wild garlic amongst other enthusiastic wildies not to mention beech, ash, sycamore, holly etc.  The Early Purples here are also in difficulty but that is entirely because their wood is being taken over by celandines. I suppose the real problem is that both species are growing in the wrong place.  Both woods were in fact plantations in the first place so maybe the present orchids are remnants of a lost 'tribe' once growing in rather more open conditions.  At least there's still hope for the twayblades so I won't be wide awake in the early hours worrying about them.

Dovefromabove

My understanding is that transplanting orchids is frequently doomed to failure because orchids only grow in symbiosis with specific fungi, which may only be present in specific very localised areas. 

DorsetUK

I've cordoned off the Twayblades and while I was doing that I found new growth coming through still on the edge of the path.  Such tiny pairs of leaves, I had to look carefully to be sure what they were as the whole wood has zillions of garlic plants going over. I was so pleased to see them and I do hope they are left alone long enough to flower and seed