Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

two-problems-with-my-honeysuckle

My spring planted honeysuckle developed pale patches on some leaves (mostly near the fence) and I gave it a slow release fertiliser (Q4) assuming it was a deficiency.  I think it might now have powdery mildew.

Do I treat it for mildew and hope for the best or does it need more drastic treatment?  Also, I have some sunflowers planted right by it that have done well but also have pale edges to their leaves, is this normal and was it a bad idea to put sunflowers near the honeysuckle?

Thanks

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Looks like powdery mildew, which is caused by dryness at the roots. If it is newly planted then it probably needs a good watering. Amazing how long it can take for a plant to send out rooys from the original compost and of course the top growth stops rain from getting to the roots.

Cannot help with the Sunflowers, never bothered growing them.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Can't answer your Q but my honey suckle doesn't do well where ever it's planted. I get black spots on mine, yellowing of leaves and poor flowering. In fact a rambling rose and clemantis has black spots too, both planted close by image unless there's a cure mine's heading for the compost bin and garden in the sky...  

• LunarJimLunarJim Posts: 56

I have watered it every day when there has been no rain but the soil does look very dry quickly.  Do I spray it with the anti-fungus chemical now?

Thanks

Sounds like they both need a good dose of Fungicide. Blackspot is something which attacks almost every plant in one form or another.

Water and food to get the plants healthy is also a good idea.

Water first and by that I mean drwon then if the problem persists, fungicide. Get the plant healthy first before using chemiclas.

• LunarJimLunarJim Posts: 56

Thanks, I'll water, mulch and wait.  That's great if it isn't about to keel over and die.  I've got a clematis armandii nearby that is mostly brown now, I don't think will last long and I don't want to be back to bear fence in a few weeks!

Thanks once again.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I'll give mine a good water too and a mulch.