London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
4 messages
09/06/2013 at 18:11
09/06/2013 at 19:24

Hello, I've been introducing aubreittas here over the last couple of years. They are perinnial so will come back next year. I think the trick is to cut them back hard after they have flowered. I'm still a bit shy of doing this but the ones I cut back the hardest last year, gave me the best show this.........some of them are still flowering.

This year I'm going to delibratley leave some seed heads on a few to see if they self seed.

09/06/2013 at 20:18

They will self-seed, just about anywhere, but cutting back v. hard is best for flowering next year. Once they get leggy they lose their value and beauty. When you cut back leaving bare soil plant with flowery annuals such as gazania, pelargoniums , pansies etc., plants you can afford to pull out at the end of the season to give the aubretia another go.

09/06/2013 at 20:20

always cut aubretia back hard after flowering.  they flower better on more compact plants next year.  they look awful for week or two but soon recover.

escaped schoolteacher, did you mean you wanted to plant UNDER aubretia?  not something to underplant really but you could lift the foliage and pop in crocus, snowdrops or dwarf iris

email image
4 messages