Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Unhappy with new fence - doesn't match old

Hi all,

We moved into a new build property in July. The garden was fenced on all but one side, the boundary with next door. To make it look neater (and also enhance security) I wanted to have this part fenced in the same way. So I got several quotes, and in the end decided to go with the same company who the builders had used to do the rest of the fencing, thinking it would have more of a chance of matching this way...

So the fencer came today, and this is what they've put in...

As you can see, the new fence (to the left) is significantly darker in colour to the existing one, which was installed only a few months ago. I made it known that I wasn't happy, and have queried it twice now with the fencing company and they have assured me it is the same wood and will fade to be similar to the existing fence. However I'm majorly sceptical and have said I'm not prepared to pay until someone comes and looks at it who can confirm either way...

In the meanwhile, I'm after your opinions... 

...Could it just be that the new wood is wet/damp and needs to dry out?
...Would you be happy with this (and be prepared to pay £250+) or should I reject it?

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Gareth

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,028

Wood changes colour with age. Different batches of wood can be different colours. Also it looks as though the dark wood has been stained, which is a wise thing to do anyway to help preserve the wood. It wouldn't be hard to stain the new wood a darker colour.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • garmcquigarmcqui Posts: 14

Hi and thanks for your reply. 

Interesting that you say it has been stained.  If so, then surely it will never match the other (unstained) fence?  I'm not keen on dark fencing and didn't want the wood to be stained as I sent the company a photo and stated that I wanted the fence to match the existing fences. 

If it hasn't been stained, what has caused it to be so black, and also it's as if it seems to be covered in white/green mildew/mould...

Someone on another forum suggested I could scrub it with a bleach solution or pressure wash it... but I'm unsure whether this will damage it (and the lawn).  Plus, I feel I shouldn't have to do this to a new fence. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Under the sale of goods act you have paid for a service and a product, i.e, the fence. It is not satisfactory (they have used old weathered wood by the look of it) and it is not of merchantable quality. Therefore you are entitled to reject the work (fence) and are entitled to a replacement or full refund. The law is quite clear and if they fail to comply with the law you have a right to take them to the small clams court to recover the cost and the full cost of a replacement. Photo's are useful evidence to support your claim. 

If they don't replace then also report them to trading standards at your local council.

• Hi and thanks for your replies.

The terminology I used in my original email for a quote was:

"I'd like a quote for for supply & install of identical fencing along the boundary as shown in the photo below (I will remove the smaller fence). The length of fence required is 5590mm."

I don't really want to rush into making threats of court action if it can be sorted out amicably - up to now the person I've been dealing with at the fencing company has been more than reasonable, so I feel it only fair to give him a chance to sort it out first.

You're the second person that has told me they have used old weathered wood, or wood which has been sitting in damp conditions for a long period, which in my view, is not acceptable.

Thanks, will keep you updated.

Gareth
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi Gareth. The new bit of fence will have been older wood as Dave says, which would be fine if you were going to paint it, but I do understand that some people just like to leave the timber as it is. Over time, all your fence will weather and end up more or less the same colour if it isn't stained or painted, but since you requested the new fence should be the same as the fence you already have, and it clearly isn't,  I think you have every reason to complain. Your photos are perfect for backing up your complaint so good luck with it. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • If the original fence has been properly tanalised you would not necessarily want to stain it (and you would be lucky to match the extra fencing) and you would expect the additional fencing to be the same colour if you ordered it to match. Do as others have said and go back to the builders in the strongest terms and demand  replacement. They will play you, hoping to get away with it. It's a complete mess as it is.

• Thanks for your replies. Good to know where I stand. To be honest, I'm surprised the fenceing company didn't get back to me today. If have thought they'd want this cleared up quickly, so they get paid.
  • The new fence looks higher than the old fence by a couple of inches and there is a big gap at the bottom (from looking at your second picture).  There might be a bit of a colour difference but there shouldn't be this much.

Also, where are the fence posts?  I can't see them.  Must be something holding it up, that is the way one can tell who owns the fence.

Good luck with getting it sorted out.

• Hi

Just my thoughts.

If you asked for the same and provided them with photographs and they did their homework they should have matched it as closely as possible. If they couldn't then they should have contacted you and asked you to approve the difference.

I've often come across the green\white mildew\mould on tanalised wood that has been stored damp from the process being applied. This can contribute to the darkness of the wood, but cant say if it has or not in your case.

Good luck

• I think the darker wood is from the top layer of the pack that has been exposed to the weather, can you see the other side ? Is it a lighter colour?, the ''mildew / mould is probably residue from the treatment process.