London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
6 messages
20/05/2014 at 22:03

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/46414.jpg?width=544&height=350&mode=max

I have an unidentified climbing plant (probably a weed) in my garden which has been there for about three years.

It is a perennial which has a very long, pointed and quite thick white tap root, a bit like a long parsnip, but thinner. It also has tendrils.

This year a second one appeared in a nearby, more open, part of the garden. It was growing at the woody base of a Lavatera which had died during last winter, both of which I have now dug up.

The original plant is growing under a tree, so it is growing in the shade. It is vigorous and in one season it grows up to about 10ft but it then dies down in winter. The leaves have 5 pointed lobes and are attached to the main stem on stalks. I cannot remember it flowering, but if it does they must be insignificant.

I would be grateful to anyone who can identify it. Once I know what it is I can decide whether or not to remove it. I quite like it as the leaves are a nice shape and their colour contrasts well to the surrounding leaves and the burgundy coloured leaves of the ornamental plum tree which it is growing through.

20/05/2014 at 22:12

Bryonia dioica, white briony. Lovely but a bit of a swamper. and poisonous berries

20/05/2014 at 22:15

Thank you so much. That was very quick!

20/05/2014 at 22:22

Right, have checked it out, and have decided it must go. Thanks, nutcutlet, for your help.

20/05/2014 at 22:23

don't eat the parsnip

20/05/2014 at 22:34

Thanks for the warning. The after effects wouldn't be very nice!

email image
6 messages