5 messages
21/08/2012 at 14:55
Can anyone help me identify this plant please? It's spreading over our garden - starts small and grows to about 5ft. New plants sprouting up all the time. It was here when we moved in a year ago. Any advice on how to get rid of it would much appreciated! Here are some pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deaconswood/7831049580/in/photostream/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/deaconswood/7831052320/in/photostream/
21/08/2012 at 15:07

That looks like a variety of schumach tree, Rhus typhina.

It will grow a lot bigger than 5', given the chance. Those are all young saplings of a proper tree.

You could simply dig them all out. The roots are quite shallow. There may be a parent tree somewhere nearby. Or perhaps one has been cut down recently. That sort of mass sprouting often happens if a schumach tree has been cut down. Young saplings sprout up from the entire area that was formerly covered by its roots.

Spraying with a weedkiller containing glyphsphate is another option, such as Roundup. It takes several weeks to take effect.

Or you could cut the saplings down now, and then spray any regrowth with glyphosphate. That would mke your garden tidier for the moment. But that would still leave a mat of shallow roots, that you'd need to remove before you can grow anything else there. So you might as well dig them out now.

If using weedkiller, you need to be careful that your neighbour hasn't still got the parent tree. If you use a weedkiller on the saplings, it will damage the parent.

21/08/2012 at 19:02
Deacons wood, get rid of it ASAP. It is a thug. Yes glyphosate will work but get the super strength one. The more you cut the more it will sprout. If in a lawn, cut it back to trunk and paint sbk on wound
11/08/2014 at 21:07

We have had a similar problem with a schumach tree that was growing too big.  We cut it down, put root killer into the root, and in the end took the whole root ball out.  It is still sending out multiple shoots on a daily basis, some at least 15 foot away from where the main root was.  Some roots are going under the path and coming up in beds on the opposite side.  I am pulling the shoots as soon as I see them, but reading the above wonder if I'm making it worse?  Can anyone please advise us on our next step?  I really feel we need to get rid of this problem.  PS the root ball is also still shooting!  Thank you.

12/08/2014 at 10:35

If the roots are big enough to make holes in then pour the Brushwood killer into a hole and cover the wound with wax (old candle) to keep the weed killer in. Otherwise, all you can do is keep doing what you are doing.

email image
5 messages