London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
18 messages
10/02/2014 at 16:47

Hello all,

I seem to have a cat or cats that visit my garden on regular occasions to use my garden as their toilet. mostly at night i think. Of course at this time of year i have soil exposed,  they are digging up my new growth,and baby plants, i have tried pepper, crushed sliced /garlic,lemon /orange peel and limes, 'Cat off'  lion poo, vinager, plasic rolls of wire, gravel, nothing  seems to work they or it' will find a space. does anyone know if it will harm my plants? and any other ideas would be wonderful i will try anything.

Thank you

10/02/2014 at 16:55

I have bought a roll of chicken wire 75cm-ish in width, the type with small holes.  When I sow my seeds I make a sort of a cloche shape out of a length of the chicken wire and place it over the row of seeds fixing it with tent pegs - it keeps the cats off.

Now that I'm at home in the daytime, if the cats become too much of a nuisance I shall also invest in a high powered water pistol - I shall not hurt the cats - I like them - but I do not want them in my garden any more than I can help. 

10/02/2014 at 17:02

Jeyes Fluid in small pots works well, cats hate the smell.

10/02/2014 at 17:03

You will find a couple of threads on this very subject............but it can get a bit rude at times. 

Everyone seems to have a favourite method dependant upon the time, effort and money they have to expend.

Best of luck

10/02/2014 at 17:08

Jeyes Fluid can make cats very ill indeed - not recommended to leave it out in uncovered containers in the garden. 

10/02/2014 at 17:12

I'd agree with Dove...........in the broadest sense, anything you would not imbibe yourself should not be left available for any wildlife/domestic pets to dip into

KEF
10/02/2014 at 17:14

Cat vomit isn't nice either. Better and kinder & more sensible ways than Jeyes. I used to plant catnip, forgotten name, Nepetia ??  in a far corner of the garden, the cats went straight to it and were so "chilled" after rolling on it they didn't want to do anything.

10/02/2014 at 17:34

We have a cat and the following helps:

1 Avoid bare soil as much as you can. If need be place old tiles/slates at intervals even if temporarily.

2 Plant plants close together to avoid bare soil. Avoid digging over soil unless you need to - cats love nothing better than soft freshly turned soil for their ablutions.

3 As with "dove" - I use wide plastic trellis but secure horizontally to short lengths of cane. The plants grow through it and any obvious sections of exposed mesh can be clipped off later with secateurs or scissors.

4 Drive many but short lengths of cane into the ground around vulnerable plants/seedbeds. Either place the canes vertically or angle them to cover an extra bit of ground. The plants will soon obscure them and as for the cats - well, you know what Corporal Jones in Dad's Army used to say!

5  I try to keep an out-of-the way patch turned over in the hope of keeping them off other patches, but then I don't mind doing that too much as it's my own cat that's one of the chief culprits. 

10/02/2014 at 17:48

Trying soaking old tea bags in Jeyes fluid and disperse around the areas affected - works pretty well. Also spray tea bags with Ralgex.

10/02/2014 at 17:53

Just put out lots of sticks where soil is bare as Steve has said above. Broken bamboo canes and the like work well. I really do not think that anything else works over time as smells flush away with the rain.

10/02/2014 at 18:29

Sorry, was told that my tea was ready so had to jump to, and forgot to add another tip!

Thorny trimmings and prunings e.g. hawthorn, quince or holly are really useful if you have any or can beg them. They are even better than bamboo cane lengths as you will probably find among them small branches with twigs poking out in several directions, and of course they look less obtrusive.

11/02/2014 at 12:28

Thank you everybody for you help i have tried chicken wire on soil however they just do it on the top without digging thanks stevew1975 i will try the trimmings from my pyracanthia and im off to buy canes garden loos like a building site with all the barracades at the momment  i'm looking forward to some growth ! i really don't want to use anything harmful as i have  lots of frogs and squirrels vistit now and again but thanks anyway for the suggestions.

11/02/2014 at 13:59

Hi! My name is Laura and I'm a researcher for the tv production company Landmark Films. We’re making an exciting new BBC1 documentary all about cats - the good and bad sides of them! One particular area we are keen to focus on is the problems they can cause in people's gardens, and how people manage to deter them. If anyone is interested in letting us know how they manage or if they have a cat problem, we'd love to hear from you - please let me know at laura@landmarkfilms.com or give me a ring on 01865297220. It would just be a quick chat and wouldn't mean you were going to be featured in anything, (unless you wanted to be of course!) Thanks, Laura

11/02/2014 at 16:45
goldstars wrote (see)

Thank you everybody for you help i have tried chicken wire on soil however they just do it on the top without digging  

Goldstars, don't just lay it on top - do as I do and make a cloche shape or tunnel out of it , block the ends with boards and peg it down with tent pegs, they can't get in and neither than the birds who sometimes pull out or eat your seedlings. 

11/02/2014 at 17:46

I was about to say the same as Dove.  I've currently got some unplanted areas of compost in a raised bed and I  put the wire mesh shelves from my little growhouse across the bigger spaces and stuck some of my pots of bulbs and young plants into the other bits. The mesh is several inches above the soil though. Jaggy branches work well too - I often use prunings from Berberis or Pyracantha.

13/02/2014 at 00:08

Perhaps I have already posted on other threads relating to cats.

Believe me.  I love all forms of animal life.  However, in all my years in horticulture, I have never come upon so many complaints, problems relating to cats.  However I feel that it is high time some lawful action was  taken.  That is.  If it can!  Recently I removed some fungi from my garden, thanks to imported top soil.  Wowee!  What's that stink? No fibs. I can look out of my front windows, and watch cats from down the road, boldly marching to Mikes garden.  Forgive the bluntness.  In they come scratch a hollow, dump their load,  attempt to cover it up and the bye your leave swankly P*** off again.  I can only assume tha my garden is the best in the road.  But like you lot.  What can we do?.  The law does not protect cats in the same way as it does other animals.  To go out and spend fortunes on canisters of so-called cat repellant.  BH, with all this rain.  A weeks housekeeping can go on the stuff.  So folks.  What really can we do.  Gather up the deposits and knock on the owners door and say.  Hi.  Your cat left this in my garden.

13/02/2014 at 17:34

Goldstar says "garden loos like a building site".  An unfortunate typo to say the least

07/03/2014 at 11:55

I find bonemeal sprinkled on the soil deters them, well it does in my garden. I've tried lots of things but this is the only one that works for me. It doesn't harm wildlife and isn't bad for the garden.

email image
18 messages