Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Urgent Olive tree help please!

imageHi please help I have two olive trees about ten years old! I lived in Essex where they were happy to be outside all year round, my front of house was south facing! They were perfect beautiful Plants! & are in pots! We moved to cornwall four weeks ago and are in tempory accommodation , one is flourishing whilst the other is looking very sorry ful, leaves are dropping and dying ????please help I really would like to help it get back to flourishing like its companion! Thankyou Amanda

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Hi Amanda image

Tell us more about where they are, what they're planted in and what they experienced during the move.

Olives are usually quite tough so it may just be a bit of stress - were they without sunlight for a few days in a removal van for instance?

Don't panic yet ...... image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• hi dove from above....they are in lovely big terracotta pots, always have been, & were in the removal van for about seven hours! They were in a slightly different position when we first arrived more south east facing rather than flull south facing in previous house! I have moved them to full south facing now tho! As I say one is flourishing so confusing!image

Thanks amanda 

Could the poorly one have been where it caught a chilly wind from the east?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Hi Amanda
    I'm also in Essex and also have a 10ish yr old olive in a huge terracotta pot in my s. facing garden that's done well over the years.
    Mine has also suffered for some reason. Not dead by a long shot, but many leaves have fallen and some still yellow. Flower buds are forming, but it's all looking a bit sparse at the moment.
    I've no idea why either....
    Was planning on giving it a hard prune in the next few weeks
    Lets hope for some ideas on here

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Could be wind as it is very windy here at times! Whereas in Essex it was more sheltered! I think I will prune as u av said Pete may as well try anything, will be sad to lose it as my other one is thriving! Will update progress x

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Amanda if you go to RHS olive tree there is lots of good advice ,

• Ok Alan will take a look ,got to say this is a great site have tried others but this is by far the best thankyou everyone x

Hi Alan - I'm going to PM you - check in a few mins!!!