8 messages
09/11/2013 at 21:29

Advice needed

ive got some pots etc with some compost in, is it best to start with fresh or can I just top up with fresh compost"

09/11/2013 at 21:32

just mix it with some fresh . or put on beds or in compost bin ,

09/11/2013 at 21:44

thank you sorry to appear to be a bit thick 

09/11/2013 at 22:04

I sometimes leave the old compost in the bottom half of the pot and replace the top layer with fresh stuff to get the new plants off to a good start. The rest of the old compost can be used as a soil conditioner elswhere in the garden.

And listen, there is no need to apologise for asking a simple question. As someone else has said, the only stupid question is the one you are too afraid to ask.

Every time someone asks a basic question, lots of other people read the answer and think, "Ooh, I'm glad he asked that, I was wondering too!"

10/11/2013 at 16:30

I re-use mine as mulch or put it in the compost.

10/11/2013 at 16:54

Just spread mine over a clay type bed and added horse manure and spread Green manure seeds......see reason below

Caliente Mustard Seed is not just a green manure - it also acts as a biofumigant for the soil. Biofumigants suppress various soil borne pests and diseases by releasing naturally occurring compounds.

We are all different thank goodness

Lyn
12/11/2013 at 19:00

If you are going to re use the  compost, i would tip it all out and check it for vine weevils.

12/11/2013 at 19:25

I'd like to echo the cautionary comment about vine weevil grubs 'lurking' in old compost -especially in tubs of lilies, daffodils etc. My habit is to change all the compost in such long-term potted subjects and put fresh in when I do the 'end-of-season' tidy-up. *The 'old' compost goes onto the back of shrub borders and gradually gets dug in as a conditioner as I fork the ground over.

email image
8 messages