London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
17 messages
07/04/2013 at 21:18

Whats the best thing to do with used compost from pots and seed trays?

07/04/2013 at 21:25

Compost it, throw it onto the garden, re-use it to fill the bottom of large containers/pots and top the rest with fresh, bottom of hanging baskets.

Just a few ideas - I'm sure there's more.

07/04/2013 at 21:27

I throw it onto my clay soil, a bed a month slowly it's helping improve soil

07/04/2013 at 21:36

I put it on the veg bed, and some around the plants on the flower bed - mixed with organic chicken manure pellets.

07/04/2013 at 22:06
Me too Linda, hate to waste it and you're right it does slowly help improve it.
08/04/2013 at 12:24

For potted annuals, use it half / half with new compost, we have done that for years, with the addition of some pelleted fertiliser.  Otherwise as the others say, put it on beds, add to your own compost etc. 

08/04/2013 at 12:26
Zap it in the microwave for about 5 minutes to sterilise it, keep covered and use as seed compost.
08/04/2013 at 19:16

I mix it up with new compost to use in pots etc. Might consider throwing it on the beds though now. Is it best to dig it if you want to improve the soil or does it just become incorporated over time?

08/04/2013 at 22:00

Oh, Fig thats a great idea? Although OH may complain as already have seed trays on all windowsills and one in the fridge 

Rosa...so it helps with clay soils? I have a section in the garden thats really bad and was wondering what I could do to help it break up a bit. Like Mandy has said...do you leave it on top or dig it in?

09/04/2013 at 00:03
hollie hock wrote (see)

I mix it up with new compost to use in pots etc. Might consider throwing it on the beds though now. Is it best to dig it if you want to improve the soil or does it just become incorporated over time?

Just use it as a mulch and the worms will incorporate it into the soil for you.

09/04/2013 at 00:15

Hiya Tom,  The first thing to do is check it out for bugs - the worst one being vine weevil, and then there are those nasty little black slugs that creep out at night and eat everything.  If you are sure there is no evil lurking, dig it in anywhere it would "tart up" the beds !

09/04/2013 at 08:30
@Sam Glendinning - it does get a bit whiffy, I've got an old microwave in the shed that I use.
09/04/2013 at 09:37
Cool fig...im happy with that lol
09/04/2013 at 17:57

hi everyone i have just joined up and would like some advice please...i have a large compost heap which we inherited 7years ago when we moved here, in that time we have added grass cuttings and weeds etc but we have never really taken care of it as such, we did try using it a couple of years ago but it was full of snails and slugs and i was really reluctant to put it on the garden in case it destroyed  all my plants.....how do other people overcome this problem, it seems such a shame not to use it.

09/04/2013 at 18:23

Well one way to sort out the good stuff from the pests would be to riddle or sieve it. You might want to have a bucket of salty water nearby to dispose of the snails/slugs.

09/04/2013 at 20:18

I just learnt today that vinegar works on the slugs, snails I just hurl into the back field. In fact I want to introduce a new sport for the Olympics 'Snail Hurling'

The compost heap needs to be turned every now and then, since it is a heap rather than a bin, I suggest using a garden fork. Then you can see what is going on inside it. In a week or so I am going on a course to become a 'compost master' so any info I get I will post.

12/04/2013 at 23:35

I am a newbie to gardening since last year and I love it but some things I am not sure of as  always had house hold plants, I have a compost which has ear wigs and other things (bugs) which I am not sure what they and they fruit and veg and peelings are all wet, I know the weather is not helping. I also have bad clay soil so I will put normal compost in there is that right and just put it on the top

email image
17 messages