Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Used Compost?

Whats the best thing to do with used compost from pots and seed trays?

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Compost it, throw it onto the garden, re-use it to fill the bottom of large containers/pots and top the rest with fresh, bottom of hanging baskets.

Just a few ideas - I'm sure there's more.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I throw it onto my clay soil, a bed a month slowly it's helping improve soil

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I put it on the veg bed, and some around the plants on the flower bed - mixed with organic chicken manure pellets.

• Pennine PetalPennine Petal Posts: 1,540
    Me too Linda, hate to waste it and you're right it does slowly help improve it.
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

For potted annuals, use it half / half with new compost, we have done that for years, with the addition of some pelleted fertiliser.  Otherwise as the others say, put it on beds, add to your own compost etc. 

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Zap it in the microwave for about 5 minutes to sterilise it, keep covered and use as seed compost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oh, Fig thats a great idea? Although OH may complain as already have seed trays on all windowsills and one in the fridge image

Rosa...so it helps with clay soils? I have a section in the garden thats really bad and was wondering what I could do to help it break up a bit. Like Mandy has said...do you leave it on top or dig it in?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    hollie hock wrote (see)

I mix it up with new compost to use in pots etc. Might consider throwing it on the beds though now. Is it best to dig it if you want to improve the soil or does it just become incorporated over time?

Just use it as a mulch and the worms will incorporate it into the soil for you.image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    @Sam Glendinning - it does get a bit whiffy, I've got an old microwave in the shed that I use.