Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Using waste water

In anticipation of a long hot summer and lots of lovely fruit, veg and flowers, I was just wondering if I could have some advice from the experts on what water is safe to use on plants. Obviously rain water from the water buts, but what if that runs out? I went through half a water in but in the last 2 weeks image

On another thread I read that 'recycled' beer, water and tea is good for the compost, so I will be sending OH down to the compost bin after his trip to the pub on Saturday night imageimage

Seriously though, what about dishwater and the water off veg when cooking....or anything else??

Thanks.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

water off veg after cooking is totally fine. Dishwasher, / washing machine there are chemical issues

Devon.

recycled ale is also fine

Devon.
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

If I use Ecover washing up liquid or a similar natural one would that be ok Hosta, I forgot to say my detergents are natural.

erm, I'm not an authority, trial and error is a great mantra of gardeners. Try it on something you'd not be devastated to lose first. 

Devon.
  • Jai575Jai575 Posts: 1

I know how you feel, I've already drained my water butts and no rain in sight. What happened to April showers ?image  My bathroom is downstairs and I use bath water but I only really grow flowers, I don't know about using for veg. I'm sure that using bath water keeps some of the bugs at bay, Lily beetles seem to dislike it

I use watering cans to empty  the bath but my neighbour got a pump thing that works with a hose for his bath and it works really well. I use nearly all the water from the kitchen on the garden. I read somewhere that most general household detergents are pretty safe to use in the garden because of the rules for them going into the drains, I can't recall where I read it but if you google 'using grey water' it should come up with something similar. 

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    OL, your dishwater will be fine but do not use if "fatty"... The water - not you! image
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

i have two water butts ,behind the summer house and a spare i fill up . cost nowt as they are council recycling bins , image

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

I read somewhere that tap water will 'naturalise' if left for a few days. Otherwise it's the washing up water shared around the garden. 

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I used to decant my bathwater into old cola bottles to water the garden (once it has cooled down). Didn't seem to do my veggies any harm! 

You know you're jinexing it asking about dun shine don't you image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Hi Orchid Lady,I often use the dirty water that comes out of my aquarium after doing a water change.Its got all sorts of waste material in there.Seems a bit drastic I know but set yourself up a fish tank? image