Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Venus Flytraps

Last year I tried a selection of venus flytraps, pitcher plants and sundews in the greenhouse to keep the airbourne pests at bay.  The bees seemed to avoid them and they other little flying criters disappeared over night and left the plants free from damage - still got them after winter and they are happily looking out for my early growing tomatoes already 

• wintle22wintle22 Posts: 2
    I'm starting my third year with my Venus Flytrap but all is not well I'm afraid.
    Although lots of shoots are coming through, the heads start to go black and rot when they are very small. Can anyone advise what is happening and suggest a remedy please?
  • JellyfireJellyfire Posts: 1,139
    I grow mine outdoors and they do that early in the year, which I assume is a temperature thing, presuming your greenhouse is pretty warm already though, are you watering with rainwater?
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496
    I fancy growing some of these in my greenhouse, where are you buying them from?
  • wintle22wintle22 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I only have one plant and it came from B&Q 2 years ago. I keep it in a greenhouse and water it with rainwater.
    I also snipped off a flower stem a few weeks ago. It was about 1" long at the time. I understand that is the correct thing to do.
    Jellyfire: Do your outdoor ones improve as we enter the Summer?