London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
10 messages
14/01/2014 at 14:28

Hello,

I bought this Verbena Bonariensis last year and it was great and flowered right into November/Dec. I went for a wander today and I see it is started to shoot. Should I have pruned it to the ground? or do you leave them to get on with themselves?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35932.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Sorry for the terribly blurry photo, I took it with me phone.

Thanks MM

14/01/2014 at 14:32

Mine have never stopped growing,we've only had 2 real frosts.

If the weather continues like this they'll be fine and you can cut them back at the end of winter.

If it turns cold and wet you may lose some, I usually lose a few but some always come through

14/01/2014 at 14:40

Hi Nut,

Yeah we have only had 2 frosts, and one of them was last night. Everything looks like it's spring out there, green shoots everywhere.

Should they normally be cut down then? I shall leave them be this year.

14/01/2014 at 15:06
Magical Meerkat wrote (see)

Hello,

I bought this Verbena Bonariensis last year and it was great and flowered right into November/Dec. I went for a wander today and I see it is started to shoot. Should I have pruned it to the ground? or do you leave them to get on with themselves?

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35932.jpg?width=350

Sorry for the terribly blurry photo, I took it with me phone.

Thanks MM

As it's still relatively mild then it probably will still keep growing. So leave it for now. Once the weather does properly warm up then there may be some dead/dying bits which you can snip off. You may also spot self-sown 'babies' nearby later in Spring. Those can be carefully lifted & potted up/planted e/w.

If it produces new side shoots you can take those off as cuttings, which I try & do every yr. The normal time for taking cuttings is late summer/autumn for me, but they need overwintering in a coldframe/inside which you may not have.

Mine are still standing proud out there- shall investigate them around March, J.

14/01/2014 at 15:13

Hi jo4eyes,

Thankyou I shall leave it well alone until March and then have another gander. I am hoping there will be some self-sown babies from this and from my globe thistles. I am just about to get a coldframe. It's a tall one with a cupboard/greenhouse underneath. I have only got room along a south facing fence. Should I put it in the sunniest spot or where there is a little shade from the house at times.

I am a bit worried about frazzling plants if we get another hot summer.

14/01/2014 at 15:30

It'll be better sited where there is some shade, unless you can be absolutely sure that you can well ventilate it every sunny day. No offence, but all of us have 'frazzled' things at some time! 

BTW as it's a tall one do make absolutely sure that it's well attached to the wall if possible. The tall ones can blow over! J.

14/01/2014 at 16:03

Ok I thought the shady place would be better thank you. I managed to totally frazzle 4 plants, that never revived last year. It was the first summer in this garden and I had no idea how hot it got, it all looked flame torched!

I am worried about it falling over. It's a fence that will be behind it, how would you suggest attaching it? It is a wooden framed coldframe and they are fence panels between concrete posts that wobble in a the wind a bit.

14/01/2014 at 16:53

I agree with previous comments regarding mild winter etc. I try to leave mine until Spring before pruning back, but with all the gales we've had in Devon recently I cut mine back to about 18" / 0.5m ( depending if you're old school or new school) They were starting to suffer from wind rock and some which I planted this year were actually moving in the soil. I normally leave them as late as possible as the older growth gives a tiny bit of extra frost protection to the crown however as soon as it looks like they're bursting back into life I cut them pretty hard back so they don't become leggy.

I did leave one which wasn't so dense as the goldfinches love the seed heads.

14/01/2014 at 17:03

Well I'd certainly secure the fence panels first. Usually a small block of wood can be hammered in between the panel & concrete post to fix the 'wobble'.I'd do that asap so you 1. dont lose a fence panel in any more gales & 2. are ready for coldframe arrival. Trying to sort it once damage is done wont be ideal!

Oh & if the panels need restaining/painting do it before you site the coldframe next to fence.

Try some vine eyes fixed to the panel, or even concrete post if poss- wear safety goggles if drilling into concrete .Then strong garden wire looped through those & around the coldframe frame/supports should do the trick. BTW I'd also check who owns the fence first......

If it's not yours then just use very strong twine to loop through the wooden panels, if they're up to it, & the CF frame as before. J.

14/01/2014 at 17:17

Hi Jo,

I did try wedging wood into the gaps, but they have flung out again the the storms. I'm in the S/W where it's been a little crazy. We have indeed already lost 2 panels. However we are renting so there isn't an awful lot we can do with the fence. I shall try a block of wood again. It is the landlords fence, but he will be fine with us adding eyes to the fence. I have some of those already and some wire so will get that and the wobbly fence sorted asap.

Thank you for your help.

email image
10 messages