London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
03/05/2013 at 11:05

Good luck. I was in a similar position, but my garden was less jungle, more shady bare patches from so many trees. I spent some time researching what would grow in shady, dry areas and did a bit of experimenting. As you are near the coast, I am sure there will be specific plants that will thrive in your area and soil. Check out the RHS book of plants, it lists this sort of thing. As many others have said, divide you garden into  plots /areas and work on one or two at a time, you can always go back and change or develop it in the future, thats the fun part!!

06/05/2013 at 10:14

That looks great fairygirl. Can you post a pic when it's all in bloom, it look s gorgeous!

Thanks Gina, I like the idea of being able to change things when we get it in some kind of order. Slash and burn is still the order of the day, but I'm a bit more optimistic after reading all your comments.

Friends cautioned us not to buy the house because the garden was too big and would drive us mad. We'd always wanted a sea view though and couldn't turn the opportutunity down....and how scary can a garden be?

03/12/2013 at 12:53

Planning is always going to be key - I would recommend making sure you have everything ready and organised.

If you want to make it easier on yourself, you can check out websites such as Designerborders.com; they provide all plants and borders.

According to their designer info page, they have plenty of experience - you might want to consider contacting them on their Twitter page as well if you have any questions.

03/12/2013 at 13:01

Do I spy an advertiser picking up  an ancient thread?

03/12/2013 at 13:24

You'd think that if Stuart Franklin was a satisfied customer giving a personal recommendation he'd say so ....  maybe he's a proud relative .... it looks as if he's been trawling the net looking for changes to talk about this company .... which would make it advertising which should be paid for 

03/12/2013 at 13:40

Glad the thread has risen to the top though, it's really interesting. I'd love to hear how Blueboots is getting on! My garden is daunting as well, I'm concentrating on getting the bits closest to the house in order first but can't resist venturing into the wilderness sometimes.

03/12/2013 at 13:44

It is interesting looking back at earlier threads isn't it?  Sometimes people come back and let us know what's happened  sometimes they don't   and all we can do is wonder 

03/12/2013 at 13:49

I have a large back garden, maybe 45 metres long and fairly wide. It's an old established garden as the house is fairly old. The previous owners were retired and spent a lot of time tending the borders, veg patches, lawn and generally maintaining the garden to a high standard.

I have a young family, little free time and I am not particularly knowledge about border planting. Over this summer I have simplified the planting as much as possible, pulled up some of the old shrubs / perennials, however I am now left with a very large and somewhat empty garden. 

I'll take a better look at that designerborders.com website as I find the internet very helpful when researching problems such as this. Their kits are perfect for me as I do not have time to plan out planting schemes.

03/12/2013 at 13:57

a connection maybe

03/12/2013 at 14:00

Nut

Laura, do come back and tell us how you get on - maybe some before and after pictures - authenticated personal recommendations are so valuable 

03/12/2013 at 14:12

Hi, yes I thought that. I have some photos on my iPad that I'll upload when I get a minute. What I actually need is a full garden re-design, but I'll post some pictures and you'll get an idea.

My main concern is turning a high maintenance garden into something manageable that won't take all of our time to keep on top of, but looks nice. I always wanted a big garden, but had no idea the amount of time it would take to look after.

04/12/2013 at 20:12
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

You'd think that if Stuart Franklin was a satisfied customer giving a personal recommendation he'd say so ....  maybe he's a proud relative .... it looks as if he's been trawling the net looking for changes to talk about this company .... which would make it advertising which should be paid for 

I've been an interwibble user for maybe 15+ years. This sort of stuff happens during economic downturns; I've seen it before. It is a gauge of desperate times, perhaps. I'm not excusing it, just making a comment.

My 'large' garden is asleep, but I've still got bulbs to plant. And beetroot to lift. And field bindweed roots to dig. Tarmac to repair. And. And. And. The garden may be 'asleep', but there are still things to be done.

Eek!

04/12/2013 at 20:24

Are you sure your garden's asleep Roy? Mine isn't. I can see lots of things awake  out there.

email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages