1 to 20 of 33 messages
24/04/2013 at 14:44

My husband and I have moved to a house with a very large garden. We've spent a couple of years sorting the house out, now we need to sort out the very overgrown garden.

It's big, next to the sea, and mostly steeply sloping. At the back there is lawn that looks like a field (i.e.it ain't pretty), some large shrubs, a jungle (a wasteland of messy weeds), some conifers, a growing expanse of raspberries, and a patio with small beds enclosed by low walls. At the front there are more trees round the outside, and a feature with two raised leaky ponds, small lawn and more shrubs....and my cherished herb patch which my friend tells has couch grass and needs to be scrapped.

I've sprayed the jungle a couple of times now, and it's still looking messy but the nettles and brambles are being replaced by scrubby grass. we took all the old carpets out of the house and covered what we could with them. It's very untidy but better than chest high nettles. I feel I can start to do something with it now.

I've never done much gardening before and now I'm looking forward to doing some good stuff, there certainly is the scope to improve! I've joined the forum to learn and to become part of the gardening community.

I think my initial question should be: I would like to design my own garden, but I don't have the knowledge to even attempt that now. What should I plant in the jungle to keep it from reverting to jungle while I work on the more amenable bits of the garden? (The jungle is on a steep slope, next to the sea, west facing (although there is some shelter from the prevailing south westerly wind) some good sun, and some shadow. The soil is very shallow and stony - difficult to get a spade through. It appears to be very fertile judging from the height of the weeds, and the magnificent giant pumpkin vines we grew two years ago.

I thought about planting Vinca minor all over it and digging it up later when I have the time (and ability) to do something nicer. Maybe I could do something a bit more adventurous now?

It's exciting, but daunting. 

24/04/2013 at 15:09

Hi Blueboots welcome to the forum, there are a friendly bunch of people here with varying levels of knowledge and expertise so you will find help readily available. I'm more enthusiasm than knowledge so I can't help in detail.

It's going to take a while to get the garden sorted, so the easiest thing to do is find a place to start and do something with that bit.  and then as that comes together you will be gathering idea's for what you want to do in other area's.

The jungle needs clearing as soon as possible the last thing you want is it going to seed and dumping fresh weeds all over.    

Maybe that is your starting point. Shouldn't be long before other people will contribute. In the mean time photo's would be useful to see and also good for you too as you get to see your progress.

Sometimes you need a little inspiration

have fun with it

john

24/04/2013 at 17:08

Just ask questions as you need to, as you go along.  Blackest has made a good point, about dividing the garden into 'sections' and doing it bit by bit.  It's a bit like eating an orange, very difficult to do in one go, but lovely if you split it up into segments and do it bit by bit.

If it's steeply sloping, have you thought about putting in a series of terraces?  You could then have a different theme in each terrace, one for types of flowers, another with grasses, another with trees, maybe a veg and herb garden, an area for wildlife, the list is endless.

You do need to concentrate on those areas with weeds, you don't want them spreading.  I don't know how effective it is, but you could try roundup gel on your couch grass, you'll never get rid of it by digging, a friend has it on his allotment, it will regenerate from the tiniest bit of root, and it sends runners across and down miles (I think I read somewhere that it can go down 16 feet if conditions are right).  If you keep at it, eventually will give up, as it will be a lot weaker.

If you have specific problems, people have lots and lots of different ways of dealing with things, I recently posted a question about bindweed, and have had lots of very useful advice.  Take lots of photos as you go along, and when you're feeling fed up and overwhelmed, you can look back at what you've achieved, and it will make you feel a lot better!  Also, don't expect something like 'ground force', that is achieved in a small time with a massive budget as it makes good TV, most of us not only cultivate plants, but patience, too.  Great if you've got lots of money to splurge at the garden centre, most of us have wish lists of plants that just seem to get longer!!

24/04/2013 at 19:04

I took on a large garden and have tackled it in areas. One of the first things we did as a family was make a list of what we wanted form the garden, then looked carefully at it and divided it into areas that matched the uses we envisaged in the garden.

We then prioritised the areas - what can we live with what is essnetial to do first. We made a shrub area and a fruit tree area first as these take longer to mature

Then we sorted out a basic veg area. this year that has been increased.

This year is the first year, after years of buying and storing plants and generally planning  , after putting in hard landscaping, digging and shaping flower beds, keeping them weed free is the first time (apart from the shrubs) I have planted properly.

To fill in beds I have used cheap easy to grow annuals - anything to fill the spaces

Even now I use note books for ideas etc and constantly refer to my notes. 
REMEMBER  a garden is a long term thing and it is not something that can be done as a quick fix

24/04/2013 at 20:03

How exciting - a project !

I agree with all the others above, but would also add that it is sometimes a good idea to look at what is doing well in neighbours' gardens.  I am forever peering over fences (in the nicest possible way) and often see things that make me think - "I'll try some of that!".  They will mostly have the same soil and conditions as you, so are a good trial ground.

24/04/2013 at 22:36

Totally agree - visiting other gardens is invaluable when planning your own 

24/04/2013 at 22:46
Lovely ideas above, tackling in sections, trying themed terraces, peeping over fences...I mean getting inspiration from other gardens.... And figuring out what you want from your garden.
Can I also suggest figuring out what you would like to try the most, or what you're best at, and starting there? For example, if you're keen on flowers, why not clear a patch and get some going. Or, if you're big on veg, find space for a veg plot. It's always nice to dive in with something you're really keen on, rather than floundering on with a job you hate (even if it does need doing eventually) especially to start with.
Once you've found your feet, and feeling more adventurous, you can crack on with the jobs you're less familiar with.
Folks here are brilliant at offering encouragement and ideas
25/04/2013 at 11:45

Thanks guys, that's a great start. I will post some pictures soon, probably tomorrow as it's supposed to be sunny and I can get some good ones.

I like the terrace idea, but I'll have to look into that, I have no idea how to do it, and the land is very difficult to dig. We can't get a digger in there either as the only access is down steps. I do like the idea of terraces for different things, I hadn't thought of that. I'll have a search through the site.

I never thought of just planting a load of annuals for now - I like that idea, and it will look great

Weeds first though. Everything's just starting to take off again and I'm going to get out there with the sprayer. The areas with carpet have been covered for over a year now so I should uncover them and dig out any remaining roots.

My herb patch is a small area on top of patio, and that's where I have the couch grass. It's quite shallow, and It won't be too difficult to to dig it all out and throw the soil away, but I don't want to lose all my nice plants. Do you think it would be best to throw them away so the grass doesn't cling to the roots and come back?

25/04/2013 at 11:54

If I have nice plants that are over-run by weeds I dig up, split and pot up some nice bits and chuck the rest. That way you can pull out any weed roots, twitch is very obvious then quarentine them in the pots and if nothing nasty has appeared by autumn you can replant. In the meantime the glyphosate can deal with what's left.

25/04/2013 at 13:59
I think grassing....regular mowing for now...and growing annuals is sensible. You get to know your soil, etc without great expense.
Plan on paper....tinker, share ideas, decide what you want from your garden, see what grows or could grow in your environment.
Maybe you could compartmentise it to accommodate lots of different "rooms", maybe you want fruit or a veg patch, or a nice lawn or even a pool
Do a PH test on your soil.....to find out if it is acid or alkaline. It makes a,difference as to,what you can grow....e.g. Camelias and rhodododendrons if acid. This is very mportant step to take
Get to know plants ...read up on them. Consider what part of the garden to do first and try to,visualise what it could look like.
A good structure of shrubs, trees, foliage colour, architectural shapes etc. Do you need to,put in a shelter belt....you are near the sea(as I am) to.protect from salt winds?
Lots to consider but exciting to plan
Use the forum to ask questions about suitable,plants or what you think you may want
25/04/2013 at 21:01

Blueboots, you are going to have so much fun!  We were in the same position ten years ago - moved to a big (2 acre) garden for the first time and learned from scratch. Ours is also on steep hill, very rocky soil (can't dig holes with anything except a pick-axe or mattock) and north facing.

I'd agree with everything that everyone else has said - especially the bit about this being a long term project.  A couple of things I'd add.  

First, we got fixed in our heads that each year we would 'develop' one bit of the garden (that is, turn it from wasteland to garden!);  'improve' another bit (usually the bit we'd 'developed' the previous year) and 'maintain' the rest (which is a big enough task on its own, and it is just depressing if it gets out of hand.  Dividing it up like this kept us sane and meant we could feel happier about having messy bits because we knew that we'd do it next year.... or the year after....

Second, spend what it takes to get the right tools for the job.  Don't try to do big jobs with rubbish equipment, you will just get frustrated and miserable.  Much better to buy one thing right than have lots of rubbish tools.

Third, I learned a lot from hearing Alan Titchmarsh saying that the most valuable tool a gardener has it 'the blind eye'!   There are always going to be bits of your garden that don't look how you want them....learn to turn a blind eye to them and focus on the bits you are really proud of!!!

We gone from being complete novices to absolute fanatics madly in love with our garden.  I'm jealous of you - enjoy the journey!

25/04/2013 at 21:10

There you are blue boots, those comments from Rosie are so imspiring

26/04/2013 at 10:25

Fantastic advice, thank you everyone. You make me feel rather better about it all Rosie31, there is so much to do!

I don't think I need to put in a shelter as we already have a line of leylandii that stop a lot of the wind on the seaward side. We'd get rid of them but it's not possible (it's a shared border) so we're looking on the bright side - and we have been able to chop them down a lot so they are not ridiculously tall.

I will go and peer into other people's gardens, I hadn't thought of that.

We've already started to get better tools. Our last garden was the size of a pocket handkerchief and we're realising the tools we had for that won't do the job. It's nice to hear from another source that we shouldn't stint on tools - the temptation is to make do.

I had pots lying around doing nothing, so I'll quarantine my herbs in those - and replace the soil in the herb patch. Good idea nutcutlet!

Verdun, we're definitely going to have a veg patch (or two). In fact we had a very small area where we grew sweetcorn two years ago. It's relatively weed free and I bought some seed to try that again this year. There's a flattish bit where we're going to plant fruit bushes too. Just have to decide what to do first.

I'll get out in the garden now and take some pictures - then formulate some focussed questions to post.

Thank you all for your interest, advice and encouragement!

BTW, I will post a proper avatar when I can - the editor doesn't seem to be working properly.

02/05/2013 at 16:01

Here are some views of the back garden. Behind the house there is a terrace and flower bed. Below that is a steep lawn, a row of trees/ big shrubs, then the jungle and the sea beyond.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22982.jpg?width=427&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22983.jpg?width=427&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22984.jpg?width=427&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22985.jpg?width=427&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22987.jpg?width=427&height=350&mode=max

This is my first time loading pictures and they look sort of squished - I hope that's just the editor window

02/05/2013 at 20:55

So. Much. Fun.

Enjoy it - a little bit at a time!

R

02/05/2013 at 21:14

Looks great Blueboots, full of possibilities What a lovely place.

Is the jungle no 4?

02/05/2013 at 22:12

Blueboots-the photo editor isn't working too well just now so don't worry!

It's a big project you have and I know only too well how daunting that can sometimes be so I'd suggest tackling the bits you see most of the time-ie the areas  nearest the house. That way, even when the weather's bad, you can view your plot from indoors and enjoy what bits you've already improved!  Staying motivated can sometimes be an issue so a few small changes are useful. At my last house,we cleared all the weeds along the front terrace, redid all the stone edging on the front borders , and we pressure washed the big retaining wall, weeded it all and replanted the holes. It cost very little but made a huge difference. A few pots for instant effect as well will give you a lift! 

03/05/2013 at 09:56

We're very lucky to be here, and the possibilities are huge The jungle is in pics 2,3 and 4. 2 is looking down from the lawn on the left of the garden. 3 is looking back up from a little further down, 4 is looking up from a spot on the RH side.

I thought I was good at photography, but taking pics of the garden that actually mean something was very difficult.

I didn't post pictures of the front Fairygirl - that isn't so outrageous, and it is looking better now. I know what you mean about tackling the stuff you can see. Luckily the jungle is out of sight - but we want to keep it under some sort of control so it doesnt't annoy the neighbours (or frighten us into not going back).

A couple of weeks ago we took out some 30ft high privet from the front. It was so big we got some sizeable logs for the woodburner out of it! My herb patch was nice, but couch grass has taken over and I'm all set to dig the whole thing out.

03/05/2013 at 10:25

Wow....my main emotion now is envy 

03/05/2013 at 10:57

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P1170707_zpsed8a603d.jpg

This is part of the wall I mentioned Blueboots. I don't have a more recent one but this was taken soon after it was planted and by the end of the summer all the geraniums and white dianthus were in full bloom. We had a 'wild area' too -infested with willow herb (like the garden) and we had to battle it constantly, but we couldn't see the worst of it from the house so we concentrated on the bits nearest the pond and conservatory.

1 to 20 of 33 messages