London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
24/01/2014 at 18:25
I have tried, really tried, to control weevils in my small garden, my neighbour doesn't bother and sadly, as fast as I remove mine completely, his continue to thrive because downcast be bothere to treat. The past 2 years I've only used nematodes in spring and autumn. They seem to work well. Unfortunately, this year less so and I am noticing many new notches in a container- grown gardenia and around my photinia, heucheras and a climbing rose. I re-treat with nematodes now, as the soil is too cold - should I try something else like Provado? i know it's lethal for wildlife, which is why I've never used it, but it is winter and I'm hoping some kind soul on here will put my mind at rest and assure me I'm not a mass-murderer of pollinating insects! I do have a couple of resident frogs hibernating somewhere in the garden as well, so I'm keen not to use anything that would harm them...does anyone know if chemicals like Provado stay in the soil for a long time? Will they destroy the grubs? Or is there anything else to control grubs and adults in winter, possibly not as nasty as Provado? Have tried going out at night to pick them off, but either Im no good at spotting them, or they see me coming Makes me sad to see my plants being destroyed...I loathe this pest!
24/01/2014 at 19:00

My understanding is that once a plant has been treated with a neonicotinoid all pollen and nectar that the plant produces in the future will be dangerous to bees as it damages their immune system so they succumb to a virus that they usually aren't susceptible to. 

24/01/2014 at 20:15
Thanks Dove- that's what I feared
Hence why they're banned in some countries...
Anything else I can use over the winter months, before I can use nematodes again?
24/01/2014 at 20:54

Jess, yes for, perennials like Heucheras dig them up now, wash off the roots etc and make sure no eggs or larvae etc. Remain.  Then excavate the soil and remove to a tray or box and kill the grubs you see or spread out for the birds.  Use fresh soil to replant Heuchera. 

However, I do use Provado AND nematodes.  Provado during the autumn and nematodes in spring and summer.  Works for me.  

24/01/2014 at 21:40

Personally I dislike using chemicals.  However, so many things are changing in everyday life, so much so that sometimes we have to resort to keep up.  Unfortunately container growing offers the weevil ideal hide aways.  There are prepared chemicals available, that help.  With due respect to the Hon. Member.  The danger to bees, is applied mainly to commercial crop spraying.  In the garden, and for amateur use.   Chemicals are so much weaker.  It is important to read the instructions.  To protect bees etc, it is generally advised to spray very early or very late in the day, before and after the bees fly.  Back to Mr. Weevil.  I have found that they are most likely to be found hiding under the rims of pots and containers.  That is why I practice constant moving around of pots etc both inside and outside the greenhouse. To Fuchsia growers the weevil is a real pest.  I have lost many a fine plant, due to the roots having provided the grubs with a tasty meal.  When spraying.  Don't forget to give the surrounding soil area a soak.

Hope this helps.

25/01/2014 at 14:01

Thanks Verdun and Mike - Verdun, are you worried about bees being affected by nectar and pollen contaminated by Provado? I have no idea what sort of shelf life it has.

I take your point about commercial spraying concentrations v. domestic, Mike - would be good to know whether Provado lingers and is as bad a sa heavy metal (which can never be broken down or removed), or whether it does eventually break down in the soil and in the plant.

I was hoping to find some info online, but no luck so far.

I was also hoping that a good soaking in Provado now, when the bees are inactive, may do the trick...and by Spring the damn stuff would have been dealt with by nature.

It's hard for me to remove the Heucheras V - they are all interlaced with spring bulbs that are coming up right now, so moving the heucheras would be very difficult without collateral damage

I think I may have to resort to a bit of Provado Do you use it, Mike?

25/01/2014 at 17:50

We suffered from Vine Weevil in pots for years, and then got a tip which virtually cured the problem.

Just plant a root of CHIVES in pots and containers and you will have no more root damage !!!!!

Honestly, it works.

Campbell Jones - Ludlow

25/01/2014 at 18:03

Thanks Brumbull, glad to hear it works

25/01/2014 at 20:14

Jess, I bow to people like Dove who are very caring and knowledgeable about the Countryside.....I try to be too though......but I think using Provado is safer than some are saying.  Used in moderation and for specific issues it serves a very good purpose. It also enables us to protect our valued plants.  

If we don't use the occasional chemical we will have caterpillars eating everything, vine weevils destroying fuschias and slugs and snails eating everything else.

I usually try the organic way first....slugs are always hand picked.....Heucheras dug up and washed amd soil cleared.....peas fleeced for pea moth and carrots for fly.  

25/01/2014 at 21:50

This is where forums such as this, truly come into their own.  I am the first to say that I don't always stick the instruction books etc. The members mention of using Jeyes fluid etc.  Yes this works.  A soil drench of hot water also works.  I have resorted to the occassional salt-water soak.  As I have mentioned.  The chemical strength etc offered to the day to day gardener is so much weaker than the commercial counterparts.  Actually I do have  an unopened bottle etc of Pravado in the greenhouse.  I doubt very much if I will ever use it.  The possible threat to the bee population is much deeper than most realise.  The scare relating to crop spraying and the possible dangers to bees.  I believe this to have moreorless now been sorted.  In fact.  Before the subject first hit the headlines, serious thought had been given to the matter.  When refering to harm to bees, of couse the concern is, threats to perhaps the greatest of our natural pollinators.  Also of couse the bee keepers.  My eldest daughter who lives in the New Forest, took up bee keeping just a couple of years ago.  Both she and hubby really took it all seriously.  Truthfully I would never have dreamed that so much was involved.  Departing for a moment from sprays chemicals etc.  The most wiedest of weather conditions that we can all relate to, has played hell with our tiny friends lifestyle.  It appears that the bee is very suseptible to minimalist of temperature change.  Let's be honest.  On a cold morning.  How many of us might prefer to turn over and tuck down.  Our tiny friends are no different.  Thing is, as is the basic lifestyle of all of our wildlife.  Their sole exitence depends upon, continually search for food, eating to survive, mating and keeping the life cycle going.  So in short.  Cold wet morning.  The bees stay home.  Should the bee-keeper fail to feed them.  A few days later the hive can become DEAD.  Sorry folks.  No fresh honey on your toast today.  However perhaps more serious to the bees problems of life.  Recent scientific discovery has found, from exammining dead bees.  That a foreign parasite has entered stage Right.  This has come into the frame.  Scientist are now working hard to try and find a way of recognising this enemy poste haste, and getting rid of it.  You may be aware of a similar problem with our Lady Bird..bugs.  From the continent a violent strain has developed.  This is also causing many headaches in the realms of DEFRA etc.

I do apologise for such a lengthy post.  That's me.  I try to please.

25/01/2014 at 22:31
I thought Provado vine weevil killer had been banned? Or am I thinking of a similar product?
25/01/2014 at 22:38

Some of the Provado products have been banned, but not the vine weevil treatment.  Not sure why exactly .... 

25/01/2014 at 22:42

Provado does use neonicotinoid insecticides but those are not banned. They are systemic so killing the grubs takes a few weeks/several applications. The UK voted against the EU prohibition as the scientific proof of them affecting bee populations is not there.

25/01/2014 at 22:45
I think it may be the chafer grub product I'm thinking of....
26/01/2014 at 11:57

Thanks your such a positive response - makes me really happy to see I'm not alone in worrying about thus.

im not anti every chemical under the sun (I occasionally use fungicides on my fruit trees), but when wildlife can be hurt, then I find I'm too reluctant to risk it.

However, watching one's hard work and money wither and die in weeks, due to a pest as serious as vine weevil, is both disheartening and not something I'm willing to stomach.

Chives?! How interesting Julian!

i shall definitely try that first!

Will also follow Verdun's tip on at least removing my gardenia from its pot and checking it for grubs. Shame I can't do the same to my beds...

Roll on Spring and then the little b***ers will get a blast of 5 million nematodes like they've never had before

Has anyone used garlic spray as a repellent for the adults?

interesting article here below on legislation- so proud my country voted against

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLE7C681ADF9DEC410&v=-2MQthEYGsI&feature=plpp

26/01/2014 at 17:36

Thanks Brum -send me a bottle will you Your concoction sounds more lethal than mine!

i already use a home-made spray on roses and it seems to do the job for aphids, but wondering if it'll deter the dreaded weevil adult.

26/01/2014 at 17:56

Did it work?

could you still step into your garden and not pass out from the fumes? 

Works a treat on aphids - and cats!

26/01/2014 at 19:33

Ah, you should be living in Greece or Italy- no neighbour there would give two hoots about garlic fumes over a garden fence

You're so right about hostas - only thing that saved mine was the garlic pong!

30/01/2014 at 14:26

I have a small pond and over the years as my frog population as grown ... My slug damage on my plants has vanished . To keep the green fly off my roses I plant under  or close to the ramblers and bush roses chives or garlic, it works a treat . 

30/01/2014 at 21:22

Somebody mentioned a salt water soak and I would have thought that would completely contaminate the soil so that nothing could grow.  However, does anybody know if just standing a container in a bowl of water for a day would cause the vine weevil to drown?  It certainly works for ants and wood lice.

1 to 20 of 22 messages