Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Vine Weevil Grubs

Last year I treated my overwintering out door pot plants with vine weevil killer, but come re-potting time I found they were still there. I have quite a lot of large potted plants which would use a lot of the killer solution.

Does anyone know if it's possible to drown the suckers by completely immersing the pots in water for say 48 hours?

I think the plants will tolerate a couple of days under water, but I need to do it now to let them dry out a bit before storage in my greenhouse, but I don't want to waste my time risking my plants if it won't work.

Anyone tried it?

• mollismollis Posts: 151

A few years ago, I had a pot inside a container without drainage. It was under the gutter which overflowed during heavy rain and the plant was completely submerged. The vine weevil grubs had all floated up to the surface and died... When I discovered it I emptied the water and drained the plant and it survived. So it may be worth a go.

• Thanks mollis, that's encouraging. I'll try it. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Stir fry is the best - they're like little prawns image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Has anyone else tried a strong solution of Jeyes Fluid ?  carefully applied to the compost only and avoiding the growing plant material.

• Jeyes fluid will kill everything, including any helpful species, worms and soil bacteria.

I would not recommend it!

• Some interesting and some bizarre replies. I'm going to try the excess water method.

Thanks.