London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
21 to 36 of 36 messages
02/04/2014 at 15:05

Not offended Edd, however as Steve points out household bleach is not as simple as it sounds, not many things are.

And given a choice between vinegar and bleach I prefer something that I don't mind putting on my chips!

I am sure that soil microorganisms are not too fond of vinegar either, however we are talking small doses directed mainly to the foliage of the weed so I expect the balance is not affected.

03/04/2014 at 10:34

Any thoughts about just plain old boiling water for getting rid of path weeds? I tried it last year and it seemed to work. I'm not aware that I am doing any harm to anything else (but stand to be corrected of course!)

03/04/2014 at 10:45

It'll cool down pretty quickly on contact with the cold, cold clay but will kill anything it comes into contact with before that.  Well, anything little anyway.  But at least there are no side effects.

(Good grief! It took me four goes to type 'side' correctly!)

03/04/2014 at 14:04

Have you been on the dandelions vodka, steve?

07/04/2014 at 01:01

If you grow rhubarb or have access to a local market that sells it use the leaves only and add to plain old rainwater to create a 'Soup' which you can mix half and half (Stronger if that doesn't work) it will get rid of weeds and bugs but not slugs and snails if it doesn't work use less water it won't harm anything its not mean't to but don't use it on your rhubarb I think I remember it will die the same as any other plant. The toxins are for its own protection while in its own system

07/04/2014 at 02:03

Another little job for tomorrow best get to bed!

08/04/2014 at 11:08

Japanese Knotweed is from the rhubarb family, I wonder if that would also work?

I will give it a go - a great use for the stuff & we have no shortage here!

P.S. Just as a matter of interested knotweed tastes just like rhubarb and you can harvest the young shoots as they come up, once over 8-9" they become tough so you do need to harvest young.

08/04/2014 at 11:43

I have been shopping this morning and have stocked up on vinegar.  I just have to wait for a weather forecast which gives more than 24 hours without rain.  Could be waiting a while here in Scotland (near Livingston). 

Does anyone think that vinegar would work on mare's tail which will be erupting soon? 

08/04/2014 at 12:57
Briggsy wrote (see)

Japanese Knotweed is from the rhubarb family, I wonder if that would also work?

I will give it a go - a great use for the stuff & we have no shortage here!

P.S. Just as a matter of interested knotweed tastes just like rhubarb and you can harvest the young shoots as they come up, once over 8-9" they become tough so you do need to harvest young.

I'd be too terrified to eat Japanese Knotweed.  All that talk about it growing through concrete, coming through walls of new build houses - I'd be scared it'd grow inside me!!

08/04/2014 at 12:58

Sorry I've made a mess of the quoting.  The last sentence above is me not Briggsy!

08/04/2014 at 15:05
break23 wrote (see)

At the weekend I experimented with both malt vinegar and salt on all the dandelions and weeds growing between the paving slabs.  Have just been out to check and those treated with vinegar are definitely dying down but not yet the ones treated with salt.  Last year I  put salt on oxydalis (spelling?) growing in the cracks and it did work and hasn't reappeared.  Still have lots of weeds in cracks so, Lancashire Lass, am going to experiment with boiling water next time.

Good luck with the boiling water and let us know what happens. I have a bird table planted into gravel and the seeds all plant themselves around it. I used Path Clear on them last year and it worked - but it's expensive. I am going to throw boiling water on them this afternoon.

08/04/2014 at 16:47

I might give it a go with malt vinegar though I don't know what my other half will say when he needs some for his chips.

08/04/2014 at 23:25

I hate DANDELIONS and I would not waste one drop of vodka on them so they can start dancing  around my garden .......cause that is what would happen.... he he.......I tried everything in the cupboard, they just wonder what im coming to pour over them next ......my mission in ongoing.....don't even try to set em on fire with one of them  Bunsen burner effergys, they come back and they bring their mates with them......

09/04/2014 at 11:49

Lesley K

The vinegar worked really well on horsetail in the cracks between paving, I was quite surprised, however I have not tried it on large established patches which will probably be more robust.

I am in fact just off now to remove the horsetail spore heads from my poly-tunnel - and so it begins again!

09/04/2014 at 13:27

Cheers Briggsy.  You have given me some hope. Incidentally why is it sometimes called horsetail and others  marestail?   I'm guessing it's regional but I have moved about.

01/05/2014 at 19:48
email image
21 to 36 of 36 messages