Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

vinegar on weeds

Hi all has anyone heard this?  that you can use white vinegar to get rid of weeds in a path?  Is this true and would there be any drawbacks to using it. I have a small veg plot with raised beds and the surrounding paths get very weedy.  Cheers..

• BriggsyBriggsy Posts: 71

Works a treat and I don't use expensive white wine vinegar - malt vinegar does the trick for a fraction of the cost!

If your using it around your precious veg make sure they don't get a dose or you'll lose them aswell.

The vinegar will break down harmlessly - if we can eat it it can't be too harmful, unlike bleach & WD40!

• JANAPANAJANAPANA Posts: 23

Thanks Edd and briggsy i will definitely give it a try...

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Edd wrote (see)

What does bleach break down to Briggsy?image

What does it break down to then? I wouldnt have thought the worms would like it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BriggsyBriggsy Posts: 71

I really don't know, but would be glad to be told!

• AirwavesAirwaves Posts: 82

I willl certainly  try this out Thank you I have sprinkled salt into  the centre of dandelions This works providing it has a chance to work prior to rain.

Last year I spent much time in hospital and more due shortly, prior to going into hospital I had control of ground elder. It is now there in quantity, any ideas for clearing it would be welcome Prior to this I concentrated in digging but this will not be an option for some time. I have tried roundup but did not find this very helpfulThank you for your help

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

Whoever thought of putting vodka on dandelions? Some people just aren't wired up right!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Who put vodka on dandelions lisa? Sounds interestingimage

In the sticks near Peterborough

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Hydrogen peroxide (hair bleach) breaks down to water and oxygen.

Sodium hypochlorite (household bleach) is more complicated but isn't the sort of stuff I'd want in my garden.  Vinegar sounds lke a brilliant idea.

What does an acid spray do to the balance of power in the soil organisms?