London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 36 messages
01/04/2014 at 13:59

Hi all has anyone heard this?  that you can use white vinegar to get rid of weeds in a path?  Is this true and would there be any drawbacks to using it. I have a small veg plot with raised beds and the surrounding paths get very weedy.  Cheers..

Edd
01/04/2014 at 14:10

Its a old wives tale that works!!! but so does bleach,WD-40 and vodka.

Vinegar

Are dandelions sprouting up in the cracks of your driveway or along the fringes of your patio? Make them disappear for good by spraying them with full-strength white or apple cider vinegar. Early in the season, give each plant a single spritz of vinegar in its midsection, or in the middle of the flower before the plants go to seed. Aim another shot near the stem at ground level so the vinegar can soak down to the roots. Keep an eye on the weather, though; if it rains the next day, you’ll need to give the weeds another spraying.

Spray Bottles

Fill one with undiluted white vinegar to get rid of the weeds and grass poking out of the cracks in your concrete, as well as ants and other insects — but be careful not to spray it on your plants; the high acidity could kill them.

01/04/2014 at 14:22

Works a treat and I don't use expensive white wine vinegar - malt vinegar does the trick for a fraction of the cost!

If your using it around your precious veg make sure they don't get a dose or you'll lose them aswell.

The vinegar will break down harmlessly - if we can eat it it can't be too harmful, unlike bleach & WD40!

01/04/2014 at 14:26

Thanks Edd and briggsy i will definitely give it a try...

Edd
01/04/2014 at 14:54

What does bleach break down to Briggsy?

Lyn
01/04/2014 at 19:25
Edd wrote (see)

What does bleach break down to Briggsy?

What does it break down to then? I wouldnt have thought the worms would like it.

01/04/2014 at 20:28

I really don't know, but would be glad to be told!

01/04/2014 at 20:44

I willl certainly  try this out Thank you I have sprinkled salt into  the centre of dandelions This works providing it has a chance to work prior to rain.

Last year I spent much time in hospital and more due shortly, prior to going into hospital I had control of ground elder. It is now there in quantity, any ideas for clearing it would be welcome Prior to this I concentrated in digging but this will not be an option for some time. I have tried roundup but did not find this very helpfulThank you for your help

Edd
01/04/2014 at 22:03

Briggsy. I'm not taking the piss but bleach breaks down to Oxygen. That is it! look at the help for flooded gardeners thread. Or try your own research. ( not trying to get your goat but these things are missed by normal gardeners and some common knowledge would not go a miss with some doom loggers and scare mongers?) 

Mother Nature takes hold soon after..

No matter what i say it will be taken in the wrong contest so i say now. You all have my luck and i am SO IMPRESSED WITH THE RESPONSE. 

It warms my heart to think that people care so much. ( no icon for heart

I will stick to the bigger picture but i understand and it just shows the heartwarming response from people on here.  They are only gardeners ( best in the world IMHO.) who care and want to help. That is very important and will not be forgotten, from me.

Kind regards

Edd.

01/04/2014 at 22:55

Whoever thought of putting vodka on dandelions? Some people just aren't wired up right!

01/04/2014 at 23:04

Who put vodka on dandelions lisa? Sounds interesting

Edd
01/04/2014 at 23:26
lisa massey wrote (see)

Whoever thought of putting vodka on dandelions? Some people just aren't wired up right!

nutcutlet wrote (see)

Who put vodka on dandelions lisa? Sounds interesting

Readers Digest apparently!!! Who buys them???

LOL.!!!

Edd.

01/04/2014 at 23:31

02/04/2014 at 07:55

Hydrogen peroxide (hair bleach) breaks down to water and oxygen.

Sodium hypochlorite (household bleach) is more complicated but isn't the sort of stuff I'd want in my garden.  Vinegar sounds lke a brilliant idea.

02/04/2014 at 08:11

What does an acid spray do to the balance of power in the soil organisms?

02/04/2014 at 08:16

I don't suppose it would help!  But we're talking about spraying weeds in cracks in the drive etc. where this matters less.  S'pose we could always follow up the vinegar with wood ash or somethig else basic.  But we're starting to turn the garden into a chemisrty lab - NOT what (most of) we want to do!

02/04/2014 at 08:16

....most of us...?...

02/04/2014 at 08:21

Interesting though

I'm always a bit puzzled by those who are determined not to use a chemical designed for a job but are willing to use some other chemical 

No chemicals I understand completely

02/04/2014 at 08:54

Well,  nutcutlet, the vinegar is a natural product and will be broken down by soil bacteria (there are bacteria that'll do just about anything!).  Not so for many weedkillers.

02/04/2014 at 08:55

And it's cheaper, and doesn't contribute (much?) to the profits of the multinationals.

1 to 20 of 36 messages